[Peace-discuss] Good Riddance Killary! Hillary R Clinton. We Came, We Saw, He Died"

C. G. Estabrook carl at newsfromneptune.com
Fri Nov 25 20:36:18 UTC 2016

I’ve learnt from Noam Chomsky since I first encountered him, more than 40 years ago. He’s the first person I’d recommend to someone who wanted to know something about American politics. (I have a note about this elsewhere on fb: <https://www.facebook.com/notes/carl-g-estabrook/what-i-think-ive-learnt-notes-for-a-college-reunion/10152036051767474>.)

And I agree with Chomsky about “lesser evil” voting, which seems simply obvious to me. I disagree with him however on which of the major party candidates was the lesser evil in this past election. The matter of course is undecidable, owing to the successful candidate’s ability to do something different from what s/he indicated they would do. Obama for example turned out simply to be lying when he was elected (twice) because people believed he would end Bush’s wars.

Chomsky pointed out before the election how unimportant the choice was: "Most of the time it's a very small decision, maybe if you can, you just have to compare the alternatives and see if there is on balance any difference but it doesn't seem to be a fundamental question.” <http://www.alternet.org/election-2016/noam-chomsky-why-people-should-vote-lesser-two-evils-and-spend-5-minutes-making>.

I didn’t like Trump at all, but his positions are much better than Clinton’s on every issue I can think of (especially since neither mentioned climate catastrophe) - notably neoliberalism (more inequality) and neoconservatism (more war). Trump is the first major party candidate in 40 years not to pay homage to the shibboleths of the neolibs and the neocons. The question is, will he be able to sustain those views?

As I suggested, the task now is to oppose the neocons' (who fled Trump for Clinton, a proven warmonger) scuttling back aboard the Trump presidency.

—CGE