[Peace-discuss] Zizek on Trump

David Green davegreen84 at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 12 04:59:28 UTC 2016

"Trump is not the dirty water one should throw out to keep safe the healthy baby of U.S. democracy. He is the dirty baby who needs to be thrown out to make us believe that we got rid of the dirt, i.e., in order to make us forget the dirt that remains, the dirt that lurks beneath the Hillary consensus. The message of this consensus to the Left is: You can get everything, we just want to keep the essentials, the unencumbered functioning of the global capital. With this frame, President Barack Obama’s “Yes, we can!” acquires a new meaning: Yes, we can concede to all your cultural demands, without endangering the global market economy—so there is no need for radical economic measures. Or, as University of Vermont professor Todd McGowan put it (in a private communication to me): “The consensus of ‘right-thinking people’ opposed to Trump is frightening. It is as if his excess licenses the real global capitalist consensus to emerge and to congratulate themselves on their openness.” " Slavoj Žižek: Clinton, Trump and the Triumph of Global Capitalism

|   |
Slavoj Žižek: Clinton, Trump and the Triumph of Global Capitalism
 Why the Hillary Clinton consensus is a threat to democracy—and the Left.  |   |