[Peace-discuss] FW: NYT: Confederate/Nazi "Rights" at Duke

Carl G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Sat Aug 19 17:34:20 UTC 2017

The best account I’ve seen of the matter:

<https://www.commondreams.org/views/2017/06/25/monumental-rubbish-statues-torn-down-what-next-new-orleans>.

—CGE

[PS - I’ve always thought of myself as a Southerner: reared in Virginia (my father would say, “…crops are raised, children are reared…”), fond of New Orleans (a western end of the Venetian cultural diaspora), composed a college application essay on Pickett’s Charge (ordered by R. E. Lee), studied briefly at Duke (favorite college of my classmates at Washington-Lee [sic] High School), I was Quentin Compson (from Faulkner’s The Sound and the Fury) when I moved to Boston - but, like l'abbé Sieyès, "J'ai vécu”…]