[Peace-discuss] Articles of interest

David Green davegreen84 at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 14 01:52:38 UTC 2017

Mort,
Perhaps a personal obsession regarding Proyect's disdain for what he calls the "anti-imperial left", but also addressing the larger theme of how the "left" deals with the "right" in the Trump era. It also has to do with how "progressive" media have taken sides on both the Syria issue and the Assange issue. Amy Goodman did host an honest debate a few weeks ago between Assange and Alan Nairn regarding Assange's alleged favoritism towards Trump. But given the feminist implications of Poitras's film, and Goodman's regard for Poitras in relation to Snowden, it will be interesting to see if she will passively "no-platform" Assange in the future. I would be surprised to see him back, and that seems like a telling point and a sign of the times if it's true.
Anyway, this split is somewhat reflected in the different approaches of Democracy Now and The Real News towards Syria; Aaron Mate has fled from the former to the latter, and is interviewing Max Blumenthal on a regular basis about Syria, and they have been openly critical of DN. Blumenthal and Ben Norton, excellent journalists in my view, are regularly and viciously attacked by Proyect.
DG