[Peace-discuss] Cornel West--The Real Deal!

C G Estabrook cgestabrook at gmail.com
Mon Nov 13 22:07:51 UTC 2017

West, like most of us, has occasionally changed his mind about politics: e.g., “...West suggests that the president [Obama] discarded him without provocation after he offered the Obama for America campaign his loyal service and prayers…” <https://www.thenation.com/article/cornel-west-v-barack-obama/ <https://www.thenation.com/article/cornel-west-v-barack-obama/>>.

I think he should do so in regard to the RCP group, because their emphases (e.g.,

~ Initial Call to Drive out Trump & Pence
~ A new film by Bob Avakian on the Trump/Pence Regime including Q&A
~ Why We Have Taken Up the Fight to Build Refuse Fascism and to Drive Out the Trump/Pence Fascist Regime

etc.) support - by distraction - US war-making perhaps as much as support for Obama did, because the erratic Trump is not the problem - US war-making is.

Indeed, in his better moments, Trump indicates a solution (and who the source of the problem are):

Donald J. Trump‏Verified account @realDonaldTrump
When will all the haters and fools out there realize that having a good relationship with Russia is a good thing, not a bad thing. There always playing politics - bad for our country. I want to solve North Korea, Syria, Ukraine, terrorism, and Russia can greatly help!
6:18 PM - 11 Nov 2017 from Vietnam

It is significant that the pro-war party in the US are Trump’s inveterate enemies, as John Pilger noted before the election:

"The CIA has demanded Trump is not elected. Pentagon generals have demanded he is not elected. The pro-war New York Times - taking a breather from its relentless low-rent Putin smears - demands that he is not elected. Something is up. These tribunes of 'perpetual war' are terrified that the multi-billion-dollar business of war by which the United States maintains its dominance will be undermined if Trump does a deal with Putin, then with China’s Xi Jinping. Their panic at the possibility of the world’s great power talking peace – however unlikely – would be the blackest farce were the issues not so dire.” [Pilger, 2016]

—CGE