[Peace-discuss] Free speech

C G Estabrook cgestabrook at gmail.com
Sat Oct 14 03:48:29 UTC 2017

I have a great deal of respect for David Prochaska, who’s written well on a number of political topics, many of them related to the university.

But in this case, I think he’s wrong, and Jim Dey (if it is he) is right.

“If you don’t believe in free speech for people you despise, you don’t believe in it at all.”  [Noam Chomsky]

Some subsidiary points:

1.) I don’t have too much sympathy for universities (especially, given how they in fact spend their money) that have to bear the cost of doing what they're meant to do - provide space for discussion; even "if this cost to schools is part of the alt-right plan to attack and criticize public universities and liberal education across the board."

2) “Hate speech” is a specious category, designed to evade the canons of free speech.

3) Free speech can’t be abridged because a speaker has an evil motive (e.g., " to throw a verbal firebomb in the public square”).

These matters were supposed to have been decided in the Enlightenment: "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."