[Peace-discuss] Hilarious NYT editorial

Carl G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Tue Oct 31 09:23:44 UTC 2017

‘Russiagate' was the recapitulation of Cold War McCarthyism for the new Cold War, born out of the US political establishment’s fear that Trump would abandon the neoconservatism and neoliberalism of the Bush and Obama administrations - and particularly the war provocations against Russia and China that characterized the Obama-Clinton administration.

There were farcical (and hence hilarious - if perhaps gallows humor) aspects to it, as John Pilger pointed out before the election:

"The CIA has demanded Trump is not elected. Pentagon generals have demanded he is not elected. The pro-war New York Times - taking a breather from its relentless low-rent Putin smears - demands that he is not elected. Something is up. These tribunes of  'perpetual war' are terrified that the multi-billion-dollar business of war by which the United States maintains its dominance will be undermined if Trump does a deal with Putin, then with China’s Xi Jinping. Their panic at the possibility of the world’s great power talking peace – however unlikely – would be the blackest farce were the issues not so dire."

But the establishment propaganda offensive was successful, and the Trump administration has has been dragged back into orthodoxy, making war and risking much wider war, like its predecessors.

—CGE