[Peace-discuss] Advice requested

Robert Naiman naiman at justforeignpolicy.org
Sun Dec 30 18:41:31 UTC 2018

One approach some folks use: tithing. Giving away ten percent of their
income.

An advantage of this is: you establish the total amount you are going to
give each year in advance. Then it's just a question of how to allocate
your ten percent.

Another idea: think about how you allocate your volunteer time. That's also
a finite resource. In choosing how to allocate your volunteer time, you're
making choices about your priorities. Allocate your dollars as you allocate
your volunteer time. How much of your volunteer time do you devote to
protecting national parks? How much to peace? If you allocate your
volunteer time to peace, allocate your dollars to peace.

Along this line: when you volunteer your time, you learn about a particular
terrain, more than someone who isn't volunteering on that terrain. Why not
use that information to make more effective donations? Suppose you're
tempted to donate something to protect national parks, but that's not
something you ordinarily focus on. Which organization working to protect
national parks should you donate to? Where would your donation be most
effective? As someone who doesn't work on protecting national parks, I
would have no idea. But if you're ordinarily focused on peace, then you
have some familiarity with the organizations working on peace, and you can
use that knowledge to help you choose where to donate.

===

Robert Reuel Naiman
Policy Director
Just Foreign Policy