[Peace-discuss] FW: From Sputnik, quoting Helen Caldecott

C G Estabrook cgestabrook at gmail.com
Thu Feb 8 11:01:16 UTC 2018

"In 1985, the Caldicott-inspired International Physicians for the Prevention of Nuclear War won the Nobel Peace Prize. The organization beat out Caldicott herself, who had been nominated by Linus Pauling, the renowned chemist, anti-nuclear activist, and 1962 Nobel Peace Prize winner.” <https://grist.org/article/dicum-caldicott/>.

Caldicott’s (b. 1938) political judgement is excellent: e.g. <https://sputniknews.com/politics/201709071057160496-trump-afghan-strategy-generates-terror>.

A physician, she recalls being alerted to the treat of nuclear war by the 1957 Nevil Shute novel On the Beach. —CGE