[Peace-discuss] A sanguine view of what China expects to achieve

C G Estabrook cgestabrook at gmail.com
Mon Jul 16 11:59:49 UTC 2018

In college I was privileged to take courses from America's leading China scholars, John K. Fairbank ("the Harvard history professor who was widely credited with creating the field of modern Chinese studies in the United States“ - NYT obit) and Benjamin I. Schwartz (史华慈 - author of "Chinese Communism and the Rise of Mao,” 1951).

Several recent brief visits to China (my wife has traveled more extensively there) have shown me what a remarkable transformation has taken place from the China described to me a half-century ago.

Perhaps the most vicious concept in modern foreign policy (comparable to "Lebensraum” ca. 1940) is the US drive to prevent the rise of “peer competitors” in Eurasia. (See e.g. Zbigniew Brzezinski,'The Grand Chessboard: American Primacy and Its Geostrategic Imperatives,’ 1997.)

Trump became president in part because he attacked 40 years of neoliberal and neocon policies, including the Obama-Clinton wars and war provocations again Russia and China.

The US political establishment has struggled (hysterically, and largely successfully) to bring him back to the vicious traditional US fp - an extreme danger to the world.  —CGE