[Peace-discuss] Stop dividing AntiWar

C G Estabrook cgestabrook at gmail.com
Sun Jul 29 02:37:00 UTC 2018

bjornsona--

You write, “I consider it inappropriate ... for you to continue dragging abortion into an anti-war, anti-racism discussion action group.”

I disagree. The contemporary anti-war movement - during the Bush/Obama/Trump administrations - has taken as a motto, “My political views: I'm basically against anything that kills people or destroys the planet we live on."

My grandchildren were obviously people a month before they were born, as they were a month afterwards. If we’re against actions of the US government that end human lives in Afghanistan, we should also be against social policies that encourage poor people to end their children’s lives so that they won’t cost the government money.

Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg pointed out that Roe v. Wade was decided for economic and eugenic reasons: “Frankly,” she said in July 2009, “I had thought that at the time Roe was decided, there was concern about population growth and particularly growth in populations that we don’t want to have too many of.” As a result, abortion is the leading cause of death in the US today - more than cancer, heart disease, homicide, suicide, etc. - but disproportionally affects the poor.

Just as it’s not enough to forbid the killing of poor people in the Mideast for the profits of the US one percent, so it’s not enough to forbid the killing of the children of the poor to protect the profits of that same one percent. We must pay reparations for our Mideast wars, and at home, establish medical care for all, as well as child supports, housing, and education for all.

What you call the “anti-abortion group” (parallel, I suppose to the ‘anti-war group’ - i.e., those  opposed respectively to abortion and war) is not “another identity group, controlled by [various conspirators].” That’s the charge made against various anti-war movements at the outset, and I know you don’t accept that.

I have no fondness for the GOP, even if Russiagate - a largely successful attempt to restore the war policies and provocations of the last administration, from Ukraine to the South China Sea - makes it clear that the Democrats at the moment are worse.

Yes, it’s true that only women (not men) get pregnant and abortion ends a human life. But trying to define quickening as the moment a fetus become human and acquires rights is otiose. There’s an obvious point at which one becomes human - conception.

Your question about “Mary’s free will” (“If she had said No to being the mother of Jesus, would God the Father have given up?”) is the sort of thing that Scholastics in the theological faculties of medieval universities used to sharpen their dialectical abilities (which were considerable), but arguments about what God would have done do not I think get us very far.

Neither, I think, do arguments about the coming and going of a soul. Soul is not even mentioned in the early Christian creeds: the central doctrine is the resurrection of the body. To regard the the soul as an entelechy - the actualization of the potential of being human - seems to me a good summary of a long theological and philosophical discussion. But as clever a man as Descartes thought that the soul was a different substance, connected to the body in the pineal gland, deep in the brain. He could tell the Russian doctors where to look...

Your animadversions about organized Christianity are sadly frequently justified - perhaps not surprising in any movement that’s been around so long and is so large (are there any others?) - but I’m not sure your case is strengthened by a literalistic reading of the some two dozen memoirs, letters, meditations, and notes that make up the New Testament - and took a century to be rather haphazardly assembled. Generations of Christians lived and died without ever seeing a New Testament; Christian groups had no agreement about what texts belonged until the 16th century and differ from one another today.

Christianity is a movement, not a book - more like a fissiparous political party - or group of parties - than a constitution-based organization (like the United States).  When the present bishop of Rome was elected, he was asked, “Who are you?” Pope Francis replied, “I’m a sinner.” Yes, of course.

But our subject here is not a theological or religious matter. It’s ethical and political: Is opposition to abortion - and the conditions that occasion it - like opposition to war, and the conditions that occasion that - or is it unrelated and therefore potentially a distraction?

I think the answer is that they are bound up together, encompassing as they do questions of the deaths of many of our coevals. And we haven’t even mentioned capitalism, which commodifies all human lives.

Regards, CGE