[Peace-discuss] Richard Sakwa

David Green davidgreen50 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 29 04:10:51 UTC 2018

*Richard Sakwa* is Professor of Russian and European Politics at the
University of Kent and an Associate Fellow of the Russia and Eurasia
Programme at Chatham House. He has published widely on Soviet, Russian and
post-communist affairs. Recent books include *The Crisis of Russian
Democracy: The Dual State, Factionalism, and the Medvedev Succession*; *Putin
and the Oligarch: The Khodorkovsky - Yukos Affair*; *Putin Redux: Power and
Contradiction in Contemporary Russia* and *Frontline Ukraine: Crisis in the
Borderlands*. He is currently working on his latest book called Russia
against the Rest: Pluralism and the Post-Cold War Crisis of World Order.

"I know that London and Washington have forgotten this word. But I think
diplomacy is when you have differences with a protagonist, but you talk.
And I will say, we now look back to the years of Nixon, I know not exactly
the most popular U.S. president, even Reagan, who understood the importance
of engagement. Unfortunately, the only one who understands that today in
Washington, it seems the only only one, is Donald Trump himself. And of
course we know the vast powers arrayed against him to block any dialogue,
or any basically egging him on to even crazier activities, when I think
sensible policies will say to talk, just to talk to Moscow, does not mean
collusion, doesn't mean that Putin has some strange magical hold over
Trump. In fact, looking at all of this collusion talk over from the United
Kingdom, it's certainly, one has to say, what collective madness has seized
so much of the U.S. establishment."

http://therealnews.com/t2/story:21456:US-and-Russia%3A-New-Age-of-Nuclear-Instability-%28Part-22%29