[Peace-discuss] charlatan, heresy, heretic

Szoke, Ron r-szoke at illinois.edu
Sat Nov 10 23:53:35 UTC 2018

Keywords  111018
A review of some terms useful in political analysis & polemics

>   charlatan, heresy, heretic

char·la·tan  (shär′lə-tən)  n.
A person who makes elaborate, fraudulent, and often voluble claims to skill or knowledge; a quack or fraud.
[French, from Italian ciarlatano, probably alteration (influenced by ciarlare, to prattle) of cerretano, inhabitant of Cerreto, a city of Italy once famous for its quacks.]
char′la·tan′ic (-tăn′ĭk), char′la·tan′i·cal adj.
char′la·tan·ism, char′la·tan·ry n.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.

charlatan (ˈʃɑːlətən)  n.
someone who professes knowledge or expertise, esp in medicine, that he or she does not have; quack
[C17: from French, from Italian ciarlatano, from ciarlare to chatter]
ˈcharlatanˌism, ˈcharlatanry  n
ˌcharlatanˈistic adj
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014

char•la•tan (ˈʃɑr lə tn)   n.
a person who pretends to special knowledge or skill that he or she does not possess; quack; fraud.  [1595–1605; < Middle French < Italian ciarlatano, b. ciarlatore chatterer and cerretano hawker, quack, literally, native of Cerreto a village in Umbria]
char′la•tan•ism, char′la•tan•ry, n.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.

her·e·sy  (hĕr′ĭ-sē)  n. pl. her·e·sies
1.
a. An opinion or a doctrine at variance with established religious beliefs, especially dissension from or denial of Roman Catholic dogma by a professed believer or baptized church member.
b. Adherence to such dissenting opinion or doctrine.
2.
a. A controversial or unorthodox opinion or doctrine, as in politics, philosophy, or science.
b. Adherence to such controversial or unorthodox opinion.
[Middle English heresie, from Old French, from Late Latin haeresis, from Late Greek hairesis, from Greek, a choosing, faction, from haireisthai, to choose, middle voice of hairein, to take.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.

heresy (ˈhɛrəsɪ)
n, pl -sies
1. (Theology)
a. an opinion or doctrine contrary to the orthodox tenets of a religious body or church
b. the act of maintaining such an opinion or doctrine
2. any opinion or belief that is or is thought to be contrary to official or established theory
3. belief in or adherence to unorthodox opinion
[C13: from Old French eresie, from Late Latin haeresis, from Latin: sect, from Greek hairesis a choosing, from hairein to choose]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014

her·e·tic  (hĕr′ĭ-tĭk)   n.
A person who holds controversial opinions, especially one who publicly dissents from the officially accepted dogma of the Roman Catholic Church.
adj.  Heretical.
[Middle English heretik, from Old French heretique, from Late Latin haereticus, from Greek hairetikos, able to choose, factious, from hairetos, chosen, from haireisthai, to choose; see heresy.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.

heretic (ˈhɛrətɪk)
1. (Roman Catholic Church) chiefly RC Church a person who maintains beliefs contrary to the established teachings of the Church
2. a person who holds unorthodox opinions in any field
heretical adj
heˈretically adv
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014

her•e•tic (ˈhɛr ɪ tɪk; adj. also həˈrɛt ɪk)   n.
1. a professed believer who maintains religious beliefs contrary to those accepted by his or her church.
2. a professed believer who willfully and persistently rejects any part of the doctrine of his or her church.
3. anyone who does not conform to an established view, doctrine, or principle.
adj.
4. heretical.<https://www.thefreedictionary.com/heretical>
[1300–50; Middle English < Middle French heretique < Late Latin haereticus < Greek hairetikós able to choose (Late Greek: heretical), derivative of hairet(ós) that may be taken, v. adj. of haireîn to choose]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.

>  How to deal with heretics, by the official philosopher-theologian of the Roman Catholic Church:
St. Thomas Aquinas, On Law, Morality and Politics  (Hackett Pub. Co., 1988), pp. 255-257: “Ought Heretics to be Tolerated?”  [From Summa Theologiae, II,II, Quotation 11: “Of Heresy,” Article III, as translated by the  Dominican Fathers and excerpted by William P. Baumgarth & Richard J. Regan, S.J., eds.]
—> Endorses a sort of “three strikes” procedure before rendition of persistent heretics to the secular authorities, who were to carry out the actual killing in the auto-da-fe (“Act of the faith”), usually by burning at the stake but sometimes only in effigy.  (Full-scale burnings were public spectacles. difficult to organize & expensive to carry out.  Sometimes they lost money.)
See Henry Kamen, The Spanish Inquisition (New American Library, 1965, 339 pp.). The revised fourth edition is available in paperback from Amazon.

“We weren’t expecting the Spanish Inquisition!”  — Monty Python
[ NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition! ]

# # #