[Peace-discuss] News from Neptune for March 29

David Green davidgreen50 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 3 23:56:28 UTC 2019

Thanks Karen. Yes, of course the Eichmann issue is complicated by so many
things, including the complicity, for example of the leader of the Jewish
community in Hungary, a Zionist, to save himself while telling his
community to cooperate with the Germans; that is, to go to their deaths,
resulting  in another famous trial in Israel (Rudolph Kastner, who was
ultimately assassinated). But beyond that, Arendt's criticism of the
Eichmann trial and the price she had to pay for being honest and truthful
to her best ability, regarding which I should probably brush up on myself,
or just watch the movie again. But whatever Eichmann's just deserts, it was
a political trial, easier to see in retrospect given Israel's emergence as
an American ally and the subsequent exploitation of the genocide, and the
Mossad mystique. In addition, the concurrent hypocrisy regarding the CIA
ratline of Nazis out of Germany, Klaus Barbie, etc. This is why I get so
annoyed by the focus on the Nazis' conscription of Eastern Europeans to do
their dirty work, and the subsequent chest-thumping by the Nazi-hunters in
this country (Simon Wiesenthal, and the Justice Dept. O.S.I.) when these
minor functionaries are exposed (although never very clearly and
specifically exposed), all of which contributes to the Israeli (Mossad)
mystique that was so much a part of Israel endearing itself to
Jewish-American (and Gentile-American) hearts in the 1960s. Eichmann was a
horrible Nazi and killer; but the West German leadership through the 60s
was also made up of Nazis. Justice was done, but in a manner that was
politically convenient and useful.