[Peace-discuss] Jean Bricmont on Yellow Vests

David Green davidgreen50 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 24 16:58:02 UTC 2019

*Does the movement of Yellow Vests not have the merit of showing us the
panic of the oligarchy which directs France and the world?*

(Laughs). I do not really like the term “oligarchy”, so I will say the
ruling class. It is not just the capitalists, there is the whole petty
bourgeoisie, there is the media, and so on. And I will not call it the
oligarchy. We can see that in all these milieux there is a kind of panic.
In France, artists, intellectuals, are very reticent. There is a slight
mobilization in favor of the Yellow Vests, but they do not really know what
to do. Since the movement is intensely patriotic – they sing the
“Marseillaise”, wave the French flag, etc. It is an attitude that deeply
disturbs the left.  The people show that they are attached to their country
– as the Algerians are attached to Algeria, the French are attached to
France -, which does not imply any hostility towards foreigners, but it
implies a certain idea of national community and this is something that the
left has hated for decades. It is the great problem of the left that it is
cut off from the majority of people because it rejects this idea of a
national community and puts forward its membership in Europe,
globalization, etc. From this point of view, the left is completely cut off
from the people.

https://zcomm.org/znetarticle/a-global-challenge/