[Peace-discuss] Fwd: WIRED: How Russian Trolls Used Meme Warfare to Divide America

Robert Naiman naiman at justforeignpolicy.org
Wed Jan 2 05:32:00 UTC 2019

"The researchers can’t say whether any of this propaganda actually
influenced the election."

That's the core issue, isn't it?

If some people were messing around but had no significant impact, why
should there be such an obsession about this?

Hillary's loss is easy to explain without reference to a foreign
conspiracy.

The amount of money "the Russians" apparently spent was microscopic
compared to what Hillary and Trump spent.

The story that this determined the outcome of the election is wildly
implausible.

It's certainly reasonable to try to make reasonable efforts to stop
foreigners from messing around in our elections.

But this is not why Hillary lost, and it's not obvious why we should be
obsessed with Russian interference as opposed to any other form of
interference.

===

Robert Reuel Naiman
Policy Director