[Peace-discuss] criminalizing even nonviolent civil disobedience-- Action Alert: Oppose House Bill 1633!

Stuart Levy stuartnlevy at gmail.com
Tue Mar 5 01:26:46 UTC 2019

Legislatures around the country are looking at laws that put heavy
penalties on "damage to critical infrastructure".

But the way those laws are written, they don't only cover the bombing of
bridges or pipelines.   They can mean long prison terms for nonviolent
protest actions.

Illinois has one of these bills in committee now, HB 1633.   This alert
from the IL Green Party explains how to file a 'witness slip' indicating
that you oppose the bill.   Legislators do notice when the public is
keeping eyes on a bill, and it can make a difference in whether the bill
goes forward or not.

The hearing is Tuesday afternoon at 4pm, so if you're going to act,
submit a slip before then.