[Peace-discuss] Nina Paley's panel, "material reality", controlling the debate .... was Re: [Peace] Panel at UFL today at 3

Stuart Levy stuartnlevy at gmail.com
Fri Mar 29 16:45:38 UTC 2019

As to the non-repressive context, I agree.    As I've said elsewhere, I
don't support banning Nina Paley or her work.   I would like to see
Seder Masochism shown, including in C-U, and I want to see it.    I also
think she has legitimate complaints about tactics used by some trans
activists.   And I've seen those tactics used against my own sister, as
a writer, where I don't think even criticism was remotely deserved, let
alone the attempts to get her academic dept. to fire her or her
publisher to un-publish her latest book.   (Fortunately both stood firm
behind her.)

I *do* think that Nina is using her powerful position to say some
reactionary things, aimed at dehumanizing people.   Those arguments
should be powerfully criticized, and I'm here to criticize them.

What I'm hearing from Carl, David, Robert, seems to conflate the
repressive tactics with the substance of the argument over gender
presentation.

I think it's important to separate those.

During the Vietnam War, there were anti-war activists who felt strongly
enough about stopping the war that they did things like setting bombs on
campuses.

Probably most of us on this list wouldn't approve of that tactic.  I do
not.   But I'm sure it was convenient for the pro-war authorities.
They could and did say, Look at that anti-war movement.   They are
irresponsible, and dangerous, and pro-communist, and the men are
long-haired, and they all need a bath.     Let me tell you how terrible
communism is and how righteous our war effort is.

What I'm saying is, the anti-Vietnam-war activists had important points
to make, and they expressed them in lots of ways other than throwing
bombs.   Don't only listen to the pro-war advocates in deciding what you
think - about variations on the theme of gender, in this case.

I'll respond separately on questions of gender.