[Peace-discuss] News from Neptune #419 notes

David Green davidgreen50 at gmail.com
Sat May 4 15:55:47 UTC 2019

http://www.news-gazette.com/opinion/letters-the-editor/2019-04-20/letter-the-editor-life-good-those-1-percent-households.html

My letter published last Saturday:

Discussion of Illinois’ budget/taxation issues excludes the context
necessary to understand four decades of increased wealth and income
inequality, and the concurrent lowering of overall (federal, state, local)
tax rates for the wealthy. Historical income and wealth data reflect
federal policies, promoted by the 1%, which have dramatically increased
their national wealth and income shares while garnering virtually all gains
resulting from increased worker productivity.

Through political manipulation by both parties and their funders, the
richest 1% of households has increased its share of national wealth by 20%
since 1980, to over 40%. For Illinois one percenters, this means an
additional $440 billion, or $7 million per 1% household: those with average
assets of $14 million.

Similarly, the yearly national income share of the wealthiest 1% has
increased by 7%, to 18%. In Illinois, this means that households with
incomes over $400,000, averaging over $1 million, have in recent years
collectively appropriated at least $50 billion annually from the working
class.

Meanwhile, overall (federal, state, local) tax rates for the rich have
decreased from 45% to 35% of income, saving $14 billion annually for the
Illinois 1%.

The money needed to fully fund the state budget and pensions is a pittance
in these contexts. But propagandists from the Illinois Policy Institute and
Chamber of Commerce, lobbying for the greed of the 1%, will continue to
offer excuses that don’t rise to the level of “the dog ate my homework.”
And Jim Dey will continue to parrot those excuses, *ad nauseum*.