[Peace-discuss] An LTE from 3 months ago on a similar subject

C G Estabrook cgestabrook at gmail.com
Sat May 4 16:16:16 UTC 2019

To the editor,

Jim Dey wrote a recent column about the advice on the state's fiscal
woes that the Civic Committee of Chicago and the Illinois Policy Institute
are giving Gov. Pritzker.

Their recommendations omitted what seems to me the best suggestion for
mending Illinois' woes -- a financial transactions tax (aka Tobin tax,
locally a LaSalle Street tax).

Obviously major financial interests in the state oppose even the most
modest sales tax on their activities, but that's surely preferable to
raising other taxes - and, regardless of all the proposed "reforms," more
revenue must be found.

Carl Estabrook
Champaign