[Peace-discuss] Bend the Arc

David Green davidgreen50 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 21 17:36:01 UTC 2019

*Elaboration of my comments on News from Neptune, submitted to Mondoweiss
but not accepted for publication:*

This article addresses the activities of and responses to the
self-described Jewish “progressive” group Bend the Arc, a national advocacy
group and “Jewish PAC,” which during the Trump Era has been increasingly
visible <https://www.bendthearc.us/about> in my community, receiving extensive
coverage
<https://www.news-gazette.com/search/?sd=desc&l=25&sort=relevance&f=html&t=article%2Cvideo%2Cyoutube%2Ccollection&app=editorial&nsa=eedition&q=bend+the+arc>
in the local right-wing newspaper. BtA claims
<https://www.bendthearc.us/about> to “advocate exclusively for progressive
policies in the U.S.”—which might as well read “progressive except
Palestine.”

This group has been covered on Mondoweiss, here
<https://mondoweiss.net/2018/07/progressive-jewish-justice/> and here
<https://mondoweiss.net/2017/02/letter-progressive-allies/>. I submit these
comments and references both as a firm political statement against any sort
of coalition of pro-Palestinian or antiwar activists with BtA, including
regarding the refugee/migrant/immigrant issue which has been its focus; and
as a way of documenting BtA’s PEP/Democratic Party agenda in my local
community, which is likely not unique in terms of this disturbing but
predictable political phenomenon.

Mondoweiss commenter Keith summarized
<https://mondoweiss.net/2018/07/progressive-jewish-justice/> BtA succinctly
over a year ago: “Based upon the article, I suspect that “Bend the Arc” is
a partisan organization aligned with the Democratic Party appealing to Jews
who self-identify as ‘progressive.’ The Trump administration is part of the
SYSTEM of elite control, current policies more-or-less a continuation of
the Clinton/Bush/Obama policies. The struggle for power is becoming
increasingly desperate as the system teeters on the brink.”

My letter to the editor appeared in the Urbana-Champaign daily newspaper
<https://www.news-gazette.com/opinion/letter-to-the-editor-concerns-voiced-about-bend-the-arc/article_99b2ac36-4279-5cad-8b60-892ca30dde6e.html>
this past July:

This responds to the recent article regarding the local chapter of the
Jewish “progressive” group Bend the Arc, which claims, in its efforts to
support migrants, to be opposing alleged “white nationalism” in our
community.

Regrettably, I find Bend the Arc, at national and local levels, politically
repellent on any number of counts that go beyond self-righteous
proclamations claiming to represent the moral legacy of Judaism and Jews.
At a general level, they wash their hands of concerns about U.S.
imperialism, which represents the basis for the migrant crisis they claim
to address.

They pointedly avoid addressing the convolutedly perverse relationships
among “white nationalism” and Jewish nationalism (Zionism), the racist
manifestations of which have pervaded Jewish-American institutions (and
academia) for over a half-century. Concretely, they demonize Donald Trump
while avoiding criticism of his (and their own) rabid support for Israeli
occupation and apartheid, support shared by the leadership of both parties.

Indeed, they are unaware that the notion of a “great replacement” of white
people is partly rooted in the Islamophobic views of a Jewish-European
woman, Bat Ye’or: a fake historian, rabid conspiracy theorist, and author
of *Eurabia *(2005). They are unaware that her views are rooted in her
previous Zionist propaganda regarding the historical status of Jews in the
Arab and Muslim worlds, propaganda weaponized to retroactively justify the
ethnic cleansing of Palestinians.

The transparent agenda of Bend the Arc is to support whomever the
Democratic Party nominates, however Zionist, militarist, or imperialist. As
“progress,” that simply won’t do.

friend) submitted the following, published this morning
<https://www.news-gazette.com/opinion/letter-to-the-editor-bend-the-arc-is-doing-good/article_3b4b1742-1232-5f64-b2da-7c4d5d88a1d6.html>
(9/16):

This is a response to the letters by Republican Sherry Steigmann and
leftist David Green on Bend the Arc.

I probably have nothing in common with Steigmann, except being Jewish. I
have that in common with David Green, and I also am on the left of the
political spectrum and share his concern over the plight of the
Palestinians.

But I think that David’s attack on Bend the Arc is unfortunate. He attacks
this Jewish-led group for what they do not do rather than for what they do,
which is oppose Trump’s far-right, inhumane policies.

They have done particularly valuable work in this community by mobilizing
against his demonic immigration policies and supporting immigrants in our
community. They are very inclusive. The last event of theirs that I
attended was in the local mosque.

What Bend the Arc does not do that so angers David is oppose Zionism or the
policies of the Israeli government. If they did, they would likely fragment
into nonexistence because those issues are so divisive within the Jewish
community, as seen in the Steigmann-Green polarity.

I value the work of Bend the Arc and would not want that to happen, even
though I, myself, am very critical of the U.S.-supported Israeli government
and its treatment of the Palestinians.

Fortunately, within our pluralistic society, there are many groups that
focus on specific issues. So, I can simultaneously participate in the
events of Bend the Arc and be a member of Jewish Voice for Peace that
supports Palestinian rights.

Thank you Bend the Arc for what you are doing for our community.

BELDEN FIELDS Urbana

Nevertheless, my criticism of Bend the Arc is based on nearly 21 years as
an antiwar and pro-Palestine activist in this community, including the
Jewish community. I know these people, I know this Midwest/academic (within
a Republican congressional district) political landscape, from left to
right and top to bottom. This is not a close or difficult call, whether in
relation to Palestine, U.S. foreign policy in general, or any meaningful
notion of movement building, political activism, and social progress. BtA
is fake resistance, pure and simple.

This is not “whataboutism” on my part, nor was it with previous critics on
Mondoweiss. BtA represents a particularly obnoxious and indeed reactionary
form of liberal (and neoliberal) Jewish identity politics. These privileged
people are virtue-mongers and self-aggrandizers. They are self-pitying,
especially in relation to their exaggerated and maudlin claims of
anti-semitism. Their claims to speak for Jews are obviously baseless. They
care nothing about class conflict, wealth inequality, war, militarism,
climate change, or any other fundamental material or social issue. And as
“proud Jews” (which they constantly proclaim themselves to be) they of
course care nothing about the ongoing and worsening depredations of the
Jewish State. But you would think that they were all born in the Warsaw
Ghetto and marched with Dr. King.

These people were not part of the broad post 9/11 antiwar movement in this
community; of course not. They did not visit the local mosque at that time.
They did not oppose the destruction of Steven Salaita’s
<https://mondoweiss.net/2014/09/neoliberalism-corporate-university/> career
as it played out very publicly in this community and state; of course not.
They were nowhere to be heard regarding immigration issues prior to the
rise and election of Trump. Nevertheless, they promote themselves, with
almost laughable presumption, as the personification of Jewish warriors
against hate.

Just as Obama was seductive and ultimately destructive to any genuinely
left progressive and antiwar movement, including regarding Palestine, so
has anti-Trumpism become a means of co-optation and pacification—again,
including those who claim to support the Palestinians but have now taken to
referencing the Anti-Defamation League’s ridiculous data. All of this is to
the benefit of the (still Zionist) Democratic Party establishment, and to
the detriment of Palestinians among many others. Those who want to devote
their energies to the protection of refugees, migrants, and immigrants
along our southern border should not compromise themselves by allying with
groups whose political commitments are so transparently opportunistic,
self-serving, and ultimately elitist and reactionary.