[Peace-discuss] FW: Draft LCSP statement on proposed Congressional emergency healthcare relief legislation

David Johnson davidjohnson1451 at comcast.net
Sat Apr 18 14:47:57 UTC 2020

The quote below ( from the Labor Campaign for Single Payer ) reinforces my original hesitation to support the Health Care Guarantee Act, as well as other “ Band Aids “ the Neo-Liberal corporate Democrats are trying to use on the gaping wound that is our dysfunctional and BARBARIC healthcare system. WE need to DEMAND that all our elected politicians in the U.S. Congress co-sponsor and pass the Medicare 4 All Bills in the U.S. House ( HR 1383 ) and in the U.S. Senate ( S- 1129 ) NOW !  No half ass market based corporate substitutes.

“ it is central to our mission to also point out that this legislation is insufficient to meet the needs of America's workers and their families and that Congress is missing out on a major opportunity to put us on the path to Medicare for All as we seek to emerge from this crisis and build a more just society. “

Labor Campaign for Single-Payer

To: LCSP National Advisory Board and National Steering Committee

From: Mark Dudzic, National Coordinator

Consistent with our discussion on last month's Steering Committee call, we have been advocating that Congress pass an emergency expansion of Medicare as part of the next round of emergency relief legislation.

On April 10, Sen. Sanders and Rep. Jayapal introduced the Health Care Emergency Guarantee Act <https://www.sanders.senate.gov/download/healthcare-covid-text?id=E0FDBE32-FF41-4367-A9CC-42EE4DFB233C&download=1&inline=file>  which, while not a full-blown Medicare expansion, would insure that everyone in America would have adequate healthcare coverage with no financial barriers to care for the duration of the pandemic crisis.  The Bill would also rein in Big Pharma profiteering by empowering Medicare to provide drugs and medical devices at the same rate paid by the VA.

On April 14, Reps. Scott, Horsford and Dingell, with the support of Speaker Pelosi, introduced the Worker Health Coverage Protection Act <https://edlabor.house.gov/imo/media/doc/2020-04-14%20COVID19%20The%20Worker%20Health%20Coverage%20Protection%20Act%20Fact%20Sheet.pdf> . This Bill would provide a 100% subsidy to pay the COBRA premiums of any COBRA-eligible worker who loses employer health coverage during the duration of the pandemic through lay-off, furlough or reduction in hours. This legislation has been endorsed by the AFL-CIO Executive Council and a number of national unions, including several LCSP affiliates.

I have spoken with several of you and there appears to be a consensus that, while we should not oppose legislation that is supported by most unions and will provide real benefits for many laid off workers, it is central to our mission to also point out that this legislation is insufficient to meet the needs of America's workers and their families and that Congress is missing out on a major opportunity to put us on the path to Medicare for All as we seek to emerge from this crisis and build a more just society.

 Attached please find a draft statement that tries to capture this consensus.  It is somewhat lengthy as it tries convey the nuances of the current situation. We will probably produce a condensed version to release to the press.  I hope to publish this statement on Monday (4/20) afternoon. Since this statement is consistent with our established policies and positions, I do not think that it requires a formal steering committee vote. However, if you have any comments or concerns please get them to me before 12 noon EDT  on April 20.