[Peace-discuss] NYT: Bloomberg's Dystopia on Unconstitutional War

David Green davidgreen50 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 16 15:39:17 UTC 2020

I watched a 30-second Bloomberg ad yesterday that interrupted my music
viewing. It showed the young, black mayor of Stockton, CA, dutifully
supporting Bloomberg's agenda as a result of his city having some Bloomberg
money thrown at it, as well as the mayor attending some sort of Bloomberg
mayoral re-education camp. Stockton is a city of 300,000 or so, 80 miles
east of SF. It was one of the hardest hit cities in the country by the
2006-07 mortgage crisis. It had the highest foreclosure rate in the
country, 10%.

*From Wikipedia: *

City bankruptcy[edit
<https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Stockton,_California&action=edit&section=8>
]

Following the 2008 financial crisis, in June 2012 Stockton became the
largest city in U.S. history to file for bankruptcy protection. It was
surpassed by Detroit <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Detroit_bankruptcy> in
July 2013. The city approved a plan to exit bankruptcy in October 2013,[48]
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stockton,_California#cite_note-Smith-48> and
voters approved a sales tax on November 5, 2013, to help fund the exit.[49]
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stockton,_California#cite_note-Marcum-49>

The collapse in real estate valuations had a negative effect on the city's
revenue base. On June 28, 2012, Stockton filed for Chapter 9 bankruptcy
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chapter_9,_Title_11,_United_States_Code>.[50]
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stockton,_California#cite_note-50> On April
1, 2013, a federal judge accepted the bankruptcy application.[51]
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stockton,_California#cite_note-51>[52]
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stockton,_California#cite_note-Reuters-52> On
April 1, 2013, judge Christopher M. Klein, United States Bankruptcy Court
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Bankruptcy_Court> Eastern
District of California, Sacramento Division, ruled that Stockton was
eligible for bankruptcy protection.

The Stockton bankruptcy case lasted more than two years and received
nationwide attention. While many factors led to the Chapter 9 filing
including the real estate crash and failed city projects, Stockton was
watched along with Detroit <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Detroit> to see
whether a federal judge will override state law and rule that pensions for
municipal employees could be at risk. At issue were contractual obligations
to CalPERS <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CalPERS> that cities throughout
California had undertaken. Pensions in California are protected by the
so-called "California Rule," which says that public workers are guaranteed
the pension in place the day they were hired.[53]
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stockton,_California#cite_note-53>

On October 4, 2013, Stockton City Council approved a bankruptcy exit plan
by a six-zero vote[48]
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stockton,_California#cite_note-Smith-48> to
be filed with the U.S. Bankruptcy Court, Eastern District of California,
Sacramento. Voters approved a 3/4-cent sales tax on November 5, 2013, to
help fund the bankruptcy exit.[49]
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stockton,_California#cite_note-Marcum-49>

If federal courts rule on this aspect of the bankruptcy exit plan it could
set a precedent for a state with one of the largest municipal bond
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Municipal_bond> markets in the country.
According to the US Constitution
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/US_Constitution> and laws passed by the US
Congress all bankruptcies in the US are administered by federal courts
according to federal law with some allowances for state law.[54]
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stockton,_California#cite_note-54>

On October 30, 2014, a federal bankruptcy judge
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_bankruptcy_judge> approved the
city's bankruptcy recovery plan, thus allowing the city to continue with
the planned pension payments to retired workers.[55]
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stockton,_California#cite_note-55>

The city exited from Chapter 9 bankruptcy on February 25, 2015.