[Peace-discuss] JFP: Tell Senators: We need a SecDef who'll end wars - like Ro or Tulsi

Robert Naiman naiman.uiuc at gmail.com
Tue Jan 28 20:13:33 UTC 2020

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Just Foreign Policy <info at justforeignpolicy.org>
Date: Tue, Jan 28, 2020 at 3:09 PM
Subject: Tell Senators: We need a SecDef who'll end wars - like Ro or Tulsi

[image: Just Foreign Policy]
<http://org.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=ZiRRm%2FfxzsSm8wrhoxu6ynNStL0jpRfc>

*Tell the Senate: We Need a Secretary of Defense who will end the wars --
like Ro Khanna or Tulsi Gabbard **Sign the petition
<http://org.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=A6Aq%2By14b4WfY1qNM%2Fvi1HNStL0jpRfc>*

Dear Robert,

The tireless efforts of Secretary of State Mike Pompeo and Secretary of
Defense Mark Esper to escalate conflict with Iran remind us that “personnel
is policy” on war and peace even more than it is in domestic policy. On
domestic policy, Congress and the courts provide a counterweight to the
President. But on war and peace, Congress has failed to enforce its
constitutional war powers, and the courts have refused to intervene. That
makes presidential appointments to “national security positions” like
Defense, State, and CIA even more important. Presidential candidates have
been asked to say they’d end endless war. But they haven’t committed to
appointing national security officials who have a track record of seeking
to end endless war.

Presidential nominations to national security positions are often drawn
from people who advised the presidential campaign on foreign policy.
Worryingly, a new analysis
<http://org.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=cZ%2Fd5Crjrqs3PYboUSn1pXNStL0jpRfc>
found that many of the foreign policy advisers for a major presidential
candidate are either veterans of the Obama Administration -- which launched
unconstitutional wars in Libya, Syria, and Yemen, and assisted the coup
d’etat in Honduras -- or alumni of pro-war think tanks in DC like the
Center for American Progress.

California Rep. Ro Khanna and Hawaii Rep. Tulsi Gabbard are two Members of
Congress with national security experience who have consistently advocated
for ending wars and preventing new ones. Khanna has led opposition to
unconstitutional U.S. participation in the genocidal Saudi war in Yemen
<http://org.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=ZStjdmvEq5p9SzDHSbOaBHNStL0jpRfc>
and led efforts to end the seven-decade-long Korean War
<http://org.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=RbibHW0O%2BG%2FMferx4wXa7HNStL0jpRfc>.
Gabbard has called for ending wars for regime change, like the
unconstitutional wars in Libya and Syria
<http://org.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=6js89PXo5nOGxjk7l8xuG3NStL0jpRfc>,
and has been vocal in her opposition to a new Cold War
<http://org.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=%2BLzBCSLTEeOF%2BdB5Zu3Re3NStL0jpRfc>
and nuclear arms race with Russia and China.

Every Senator gets to vote on appointments to Defense, State, and CIA. *
Urge your Senators to support nominees to these positions who will end
endless war by signing our petition
<http://org.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=pwW5H0oZfUfdMYi999Xk13NStL0jpRfc>*.
And if you use Twitter, please take a moment to *retweet our tweet about
the petition here*
<http://org.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=j1%2FTrtRX9ApltJXEtWHq6XNStL0jpRfc>.

Thank you for all you do to make U.S. foreign policy more just,

Erik Sperling, Sarah Burns, and the Just Foreign Policy Team

*If you think our work is important, please make a donation to support it.*

*http://www.justforeignpolicy.org/donate *
<http://org.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=zdXmZTxZfelN8g9DZuDYHnNStL0jpRfc>

[image: Please support our work. Donate for a Just Foreign Policy]
<http://org.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=YNLHQ0dmhnS%2ByMXViuvz7XNStL0jpRfc>

© 2019 Just Foreign Policy