[Peace] Speaking the Truth in the Sticks

Kit Condill eturner at students.uiuc.edu
Wed Dec 5 20:29:17 CST 2001

Hello Everybody. This is my first and only e-mail ever. Herewith a
press release from the Sullivan, Illinois News Progress:

	"TERROR TOPIC FOR HARRIS
	Jonathan Harris, a local resident who recently worked for
Time Magazine,
	will present a seminar on Middle East violence and the recent
terrorist attacks
	on the United States.

	The free, public Community Education seminar 'Why the
Terror?' will be presented
	at 7 PM, Friday, December 7th, at Sullivan High School.
Harris spent considerable
	time studying in the Middle East, and military operations
personnel will be on hand
	to contribute to the discussion.

	For more information call the Chamber of Commerce at (217)
728-4223 or Sullivan
	High School at (217) 728-8311."

I am going to attend this seminar and use it to publicize the
Teach-in on December 15th and also to challenge what I imagine will
be a fairly obnoxious interpretation of events in Afghanistan and
elsewhere. I expect that the audience for this event will be highly
patriotic and saturated with the ideas being put forth in the
mainstream media. I would appreciate it if anyone who feels they can
do a skillful job of speaking to this kind of audience and opening
their minds without alienating them would attend with me. (I would
also appreciate it if the seminar was on Saturday so we could go to
Karaoke afterwards...but maybe we can just pound a bunch of $2.75
20-ounce beers and pretend it's Karaoke night.)

Sullivan is about an hour south of Champaign-Urbana, but it will take
a little longer on the simplified route that follows:

Take 57 south to the Arcola exit (exit 203) and turn right onto 133.
Go all the way through Arthur to the end of 133 at Lovington (about
18 miles) and turn left onto route 32, which will take you into
Sullivan (about 7 miles). In Sullivan, take a left on route 121 and
go until you reach a stoplight with a "Gasland" gas station where
route 32 turns to the right (if you pass McDonald's, you've gone too
far). Turn left at this stoplight and the high school will be on your
left in a few blocks across from Wyman Park. If coming from the
Decatur area, you can take route 121 directly into town.

If you are coming from the Champaign area and want to caravan or try
to arrange some kind of a carpool, give Emily a call at 351-5187 or
send an e-mail to the above address. Emily will be leaving at 5:15 PM
in order to make it to the event with plenty of time to spare.

Thanks and hope to see you there.
Kit

PS If you have any questions, call me at 543-2394.
--
"Keep in mind always the present you are constructing,
It should be the future you want."