[Peace] CIVIL LIBERTIES Action Alert

Stuart Laird stuart at laird.com
Tue Nov 13 14:36:34 CST 2001

Oppose Unnecessary Expansion of State, Local Police
Authority in Illinois-
November 13, 2001

House Bill 2299 Grants Broad Authority for Indiscriminate Eavesdropping by
State and Local Police!
Take Action! Forward to Your Friends!

Attorney General Jim Ryan has proposed a bill under the general heading of
"anti-terrorism" containing several measures that pose serious threats to
civil liberties! We have a new way for you to contact your representatives
in the Illinois General Assembly: With just two (2) clicks on your mouse,
you can read more about this proposal and send a free fax to your state
representative and state senator urging him or her to oppose House Bill
2299. To begin, go to our action alert at

<http://www.aclu.org/stateaction/expansion-il.html>.

Background
House Bill 2299 will be considered and, we anticipate, acted upon during
the brief veto session of the Illinois General Assembly in November.
House Bill 2299 expands the death penalty, enhances law enforcement's
capacity to wiretap telephone conversations and review electronic
correspondence without sufficient judicial oversight, and includes seizure
and forfeiture provisions that violate basic norms of due process - all
sweeping changes in Illinois' criminal code.

Congress already has considered and acted upon a series of far-reaching
proposals to expand the authority of federal law enforcement and
intelligence services to investigate and prosecute terrorism. The Attorney
General's proposals not only are an attack upon our basic civil liberties,
they are unnecessary. State and local law enforcement in Illinois already
participate in a federal counter-terrorism task force. The resources of the
federal government should continue to be relied upon to lead the fight
against terrorism.

For more information -

Resources available on the ACLU of Illinois website<http://www.aclu-il.org>
* A full and complete analysis of the civil liberties implications of House
Bill 2299;
* Learn who your Representative is;
* Find the phone number and address for your legislators; and,
* Join the ACLU!

Thank you -

You action can make a difference!
We would like to continue to provide you with civil liberties updates and
action alerts via e-mail in the future. If you do not wish to receive these
emails or you receive duplicate messages, please let us know by replying to
this message.

The most dangerous element in any society is ignorance.
                 -Emma Goldman
http://www.laird.com