[Peace] Thursday Action---Protest on Prospect Avenue

parenti susan rose sparenti at ux1.cso.uiuc.edu
Wed Oct 10 21:23:27 CDT 2001

Tomorrow, Thursday Oct. 11, from noon to 1 pm, you're invited to protest
 the current militarization/racism/loss of civil liberties on Prospect
Avenue, right off the Exit from I=74. The Ladies Against War are asking
everyone(men, gentlemen,women,itches, witches, and bi..) to join us out
there. We've been in front of the urbana Library everyday at noon for the past 3 weeks, and
now we're venturing forth and would like more buddies.

If you'd like a ride, or just want to start off together, meet at the
School for Designing a Society at 409 N. Race at 11;30-11:45 am; we'll
have cars and banners and signs, and will take off from there.

If it's easiest for you to drive to Prospect Avenue directly, do so, and
park at Tire Lube(?) the tire store at the corner of Prospect and
Marketview, and wait for all of us to show up. The we'll all go together
to Prospect.

If you want to make a sign, please do. We have some, and more are great.
Today a group of us brainstormed possible sign and banner wordings. Our
idea is to consider our banners/signs an "alternative newspaper" in order
to start a dialogue with the rest of us Americans, since the current media
is only beating the war drum. Here are what we came up with:
NOW THEY HATE US MORE
500 PEOPLE KILLED IN KABUL HOSPITAL
ARE WE SURE REFUGEES ARE RECEIVING FOOD?
AN EYE FOR AN EYE WILL MAKE US BLIND
10,000 PROTESTED AGAINST WAR IN NEW YORK
IS "SECURITY" MUZZLING(GAGGING) US?
IS "SECURITY" SHUTTING US UP?
KISSINGER LIKE BIN LADEN=TERRORIST SPONSORS
PATRON SAINTS OF TERRORISTS: KISSINGER & BIN LADEN
IF U.S. WANTS A COUNTRY'S OIL, THERE THE U.S. WILL 'FIND'TERRORISTS

If any of these wordings appeal to you, make a sign with them. We only
brainstormed these wordings, and didn't necessarily make signs with them.

Also, we're missing anti-racist signs.

If it rains, we won't go.

We're hoping to do this every week, on Prospect.