[Peace] Please rethink Mobilization Meeting Time

Barbara Dyskant bdyskant at earthlink.net
Mon Oct 15 15:02:43 CDT 2001

Hi friends,

As parents, we're  dismayed and concerned about the late meeting date
(10PM) made for the Mobilization Meeting, which was set after quite a few
of us had already left, because the meeting was extremely long and we had
other commitments.

As dedicated parents and activists, we have worked in many groups to make
meetings accessible to everyone, and that means setting them when most
people are still awake.  We need to choose times when most people can
attend and not risk health or livelihood to do so.  Although not
intentional, this kind of thing discourages or prevents most parents,
people with strict-hours jobs, etc., from participating. I know few people
in that circumstance who would go to a 10PM meeting, especially those new
to activism.   Yet the input of many kinds of people is important for the
success of the actions.

It worked well when we brought our children to the last meeting,  and also
the children do well with childcare during "normal" hours if we decide to
attend without them.   At 10PM,  however, we are putting the children, and
ourselves, to bed.   I for one don't function well without enough sleep,
and there is no way to turn off the adorable human "alarm clock" that lets
me know it's time for breakfast in the morning.  (Nor is there a way to
explain lateness to most bosses).

Is there a way that we can please, please reschedule?  It's  not a question
of whether I personally can go, but more about whether a whole "genre" or
people finds it accessible.  I know the IMC is the desired spot, and yet I
think we need to look at a cafe, or other venue, or even my house (which is
out of the way but I would make it available), rather than cut off
attendance possibilities..

I feel this mistake was made because of the hurried circumstances of
setting the next meeting, and I totally respect everyone's dedication to
the importance of getting the teach-in and action planned and moving.
However, I think we need to step back and think about whether that time is
reasonable, as we need to have input from enought members to make the event
the best it can possibly be.

                                                      With peace and caring,
                                                      Barbara Dyskant

(Also read and agree to by Clint Popetz and Barry Miller)

P.S.  May I suggest an earlier time on Tuesday?   I agree we need to meet
soon.