[Peace] Robert McChesney Speaks Tonight

Clint Popetz cpopetz at cpopetz.com
Wed Oct 17 10:53:39 CDT 2001

On Wed, Oct 17, 2001 at 10:36:19AM -0500, parenti susan rose wrote:
> McChesney speaks tonight on the role the media is playing concerning the
> last month's events. This will be at Levis Faculty Center on campus,
> 7:30pm.
>
> There are more particulars that I don't have. Al Kagan, do you have the
> original e-mail about this event? Can you post it?

Here is the original e-mail I have.

				-Clint

To: peace at lists.groogroo.com
From: Simona Sawhney <ssawhney at ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>
Subject: [Peace] (no subject)
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2001 16:15:33 -0700

The Global Media and the War on Terrorism

Bob McChesney (Institute of Communications Research): on the US media
Suvir Kaul (English): on India and Pakistan
Marilyn Booth (Comparative Literature): on the Arab Middle East
Diane Koenker (History): on Russia and the former USSR

At this time of crisis and conflict there is an immense need for
reflective and internationally aware public debate. The parameters of
our understanding, however, are to a considerable extent framed by
the media sources on which we rely for our information. This panel of
local scholars will critically examine the role of the media at this
time, both in the United States and elsewhere: in the Middle East,
the former Soviet Union, and South Asia. What perspectives are
overlooked in mainstream US coverage of the war, and how can we
overcome inadequacies in our primary news sources? How and why is
this conflict viewed differently elsewhere? And what constraints
exist on media discussion in these countries? Brief presentations by
the expert panelists will be followed by an open discussion on these
issues.

Wednesday 17 October
7.30 p.m.
Third Floor, Levis Faculty Center