[Peace] a quote

blue2 at net66.com blue2 at net66.com
Tue Oct 23 08:50:19 CDT 2001

Someone posted this to a bb I'm on.  The last paragraph is
particularly relevant ... and chilling.  The quote is supposed to
appear in Gustave Gilbert's Nuremberg Diary (1945), but I haven't
confirmed it.
Meg

"Why of course the people don't want war. Why should some poor
slob on a farm want to risk his life in a war when the best he can
get out of it is to come back to his farm in one piece?

Naturally the common people don't want war: neither in Russia, nor
in England, nor for that matter in Germany. That is understood.
But, after all, it is the leaders of the country who determine the
policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along,
whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a
parliament, or a communist dictatorship.

Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding
of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are
being attacked, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of
patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same
in any country."

Hermann Goering

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that.  Hate
cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
--Martin Luther King, Jr.

"O we are all racist  we are all sexist  some of us only some of us
are the targets of sexism of homophobia of class denigration but we all
all breathe in racism with the dust in the streets  with the words we read
and we struggle those of us who struggle  we struggle endlessly endlessly
to think and be and act differently from all that"
-- unattributed; Isis International Bulletin, no. 21 (1981)