[Peace] Av. 11 de Septiembre, Santiago de Chile

Samuel J. Martland martland at uiuc.edu
Mon Oct 22 11:37:19 CDT 2001

Dear Peace List Friends,
    Since the 1970s one of the main streets in Santiago, Chile, has been
called Avenida 11 de Septiembre in honor of Gen. Pinochet's 9/11/1973 coup.
Like many Chileans, I've always thought the name should be changed out of
respect for the victims of that coup and the ensuing dictatorship.  However,
now I and many others also think it should be changed out of respect for the
dead of Sept. 11, 2001.  The mayor of that part of Santiago, a conservative
named Labbe, doesn't want to change the name, but he and his conservative
colleagues are generally very fond of and sensitive to Americans and
Europeans.  It's worth a try.

    Please help to wipe out a blot on the map of Chile that is now doubly
disturbing.  Email alcalde at providencia.cl with the following message or one
of your own:

Estimado Señor Alcalde:
    Por favor cambie el nombre de la Avenida 11 de Septiembre como un señal
de respecto a los muertos del 11 de septiembre de 2001 y sus varias patrias.
           [name, city, Estados Unidos]

[Translation:  Please change the name of 11th of September Avenue as a sign
of respect to the dead of Sept. 11, 2001, and to their various homelands.]

Please forward this message to anyone who might be interested.

Sam Martland