[Peace] Acts of kindness

Kranich, Kimberlie Kranich at WILL.uiuc.edu
Fri Sep 21 16:32:37 CDT 2001

Ever since the attacks on the World Trade Center and the Pentagon and before
the predictable backlash of attacks on our Arab citizens, neighbors, and
residents, I found myself being friendly to strangers on the street and in
the stores, especially towards those of a different ethnic and racial
background from myself. By coincidence, there was an armed robbery in my
neighborhood a couple of months before the attacks and so I started
organizing meetings with my neighbors.  They have been wonderful meetings. A
significant number of us now wave to each other as we ride, walk or bike
down the street, and we know a lot more about each other.  The neighborhood
has a more friendly feel instead of just being a street with houses and
people I recognize but don't really know.  Just a few thoughts about how in
our everyday lives we can help create a more friendly atmosphere.

Kimberlie