[Peace] draft of introduction for press

Sandra Ahten spiritofsandra at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 12 17:08:23 CDT 2002

Here is a draft of the introduction (or reintroduction) letter that will be
sent out to various press agencies. Please note that we are including the 3
names as contacts... but the contacts will have a list of a wider range of
AWARE members who can speak to various concerns that we might be called
upon.  The text for the 4 brochures is still being discussed.  Comments
welcome.
---------------------------------------

[letterhead: A.W.A.R.E. Anti-War Anti-Racism Effort

Mr. Ricky Baldwin 217-356-2205 baldwinricky at hotmail.com
Ms. Sandra Ahten 217-367-6345 Sandra_Ahten at hotmail.com
Mr. Carl Estabrook ???

AWARE is an alliance of groups and individuals working to oppose war &
rasicsm and present alternatives. Our common concerns include military
build-up, the threat of global de-stabilization, and the reduction of civil
liberties. We come together to coordinate our efforts, share resources and
ideas, and make large scale actions possible as we work toward peace and
justice.

As you look for interesting and varied perspectives on political stories
that have to do with war and racism please feel free to call on us for
statements.

AWARE can be a resource to the media by the providing interviews,
documentation, and facts on the following topics:
The war in Afghanistan
The Israeli Palestinian conflict
Civil rights concerns in the wake of Sept. 11
U.S. war on Iraq

You will find background information on the above listed topics enclosed.

AWARE meets every Sunday 5-7pm at the Urbana Independent Media Center, 218
W. Main St., Urbana, Illinois. Media / reporters and the public are always
welcome.