[Peace] Stopping a war before it starts

Kranich, Kimberlie Kranich at WILL.uiuc.edu
Mon Aug 19 17:41:38 CDT 2002

Since Susan is in Croatia with refugee children from the war in the Balkans,
I'm volunteering to coordinate the next semi-regular vigil for peace.
Please forward the body of this message to as many folks as you can and show
up with a friend. Thanks!

Kimberlie
**************************

What: Stop the War Before It Starts Vigil

Who: Bears' fans and anybody who hasn't thought about a pending war against
Iraq and the associated costs.

When:  Friday, August 23, 5:30pm-7pm (game time)

Where: Intersection of Kirby Ave. and Park Haven Drive directly across from
Hessel Park (two blocks west of the intersection of Neil St./Kirby Ave. in
Champaign on the same side of the street as Custard Cup and Bagelman's. This
is the main route for cars going to Memorial Stadium. Cars back up for a
mile at this very spot)

Why: We need to educate and inform the *ambivalent* masses.  We'll provide
1/4-page handbills with many of the reasons against having a war: loss of
innocent life (American & Iraqi), no allied support (except Great Britain),
increases anti-American sentiment, could involve nuclear weapons and will
address concerns about Iraq's chemical and biological weapons by suggesting
more UN inspections, NOT war.  The idea is to craft our arguments to appeal
to mainstream Americans who are uniformed and ambivalent.  The handbills
will urge people to call Congress and will direct them to a website.

We need you to:  talk to people in their cars, give them a handbill, urge
them to contact Congress. This is an interactive action!

Bring you signs, eye-catching outfits, smiles and persuasive arguments.

Kimberlie