[Peace] Art & Revolution for the 9/11 protest this Saturday!

Rob Scott rob at anacroatan.org
Tue Aug 20 17:41:51 CDT 2002

I'm sending this to all the AWARE affiliated groups. -Rob

** *  *   *    *     *      *       *        *         *          *

ANTI-WAR SIGN AND BOOTH-MAKING
Saturday, AUGUST 24
4 to 8pm
at the School For Designing A Society -- snacks&materials provided!
409 North Race Street in Urbana

After 9/11/01, dozens of groups in C-U signed on to oppose the impending
war on Afghanistan, and the FBI's new powers to wiretap and read private
email. A year later, the FBI has been granted unprecedented powers to spy
on the American public, including the return of COINTELPRO, and the
creation of citizen spies under TIPS. War continues in Afghanistan,
Israel-Palestine, Phillipines, Colombia, Uzbekistan, etc and U.S. allies
step up their atrocities against political opponents at home or abroad
under the banner of "War on Terrorism."

On 9/11/02, we will be protesting the War on Terrorism, and the erosion of
Civil Liberties over the past year. At 11am, people will set up booths and
begin to protest at the Quad on UIUC campus. At noon, UIUC will play bell
music and there will be an open-mic at the Quad until 1pm. At 1pm we will
march to the FBI office in Champaign (at the old train station near
University Ave.) -- we will raise our voices and signs to tell the
public: WE OPPOSE THE WAR ON IRAQ, WE DEMAND THAT THE GOVERNMENT UPHOLD
THE U.S. CONSTITUTION!!!

We respect those mourning the victims of 9/11, and in addition we mourn
those innocent people who have died from U.S. warfare. It may require some
tact not let this "addition to" be cast as a "substitution for" the day of
mourning that many Americans feel is important.

Some of us hold out hope that the popular press might provide fair
coverage of the event.
The News Gazette covered the anti-war Candlelight Vigil of March 11 2002
as though it was an everyday patriotism thing, deliberately misinforming
the public about the massive opposition to the U.S. wars abroad.

We are preparing signs, and other informative materials, to challenge the
propaganda that would turn 9/11 into a holiday for American
"innocence". Please help - this saturday afternoon we'll be making
signs. We need *you* to make this event happen -- we're staging a MASS
MOBILIZATION and we need the anti-war community to take action! Are you
still with us, people who actively opposed war last September?

ANTI-WAR SIGN AND BOOTH-MAKING
AUGUST 24
4 to 8pm
at the School For Designing A Society -- snacks&materials provided!
at the corner of University Avenue and North Race St. in Urbana

this event is in preparation for:

ANOTHER WORLD IS POSSIBLE
a protest against war and for protecting the Constitution
SEPTEMBER 11 2002

11-noon
anti-war groups set up AT THE QUAD

noon - 1pm
assemble and protest AT THE QUAD,
UofI is making this an "open-mic" time so speakers are welcome.

1pm - 2pm
MARCH TO THE FBI office in Champaign,
where the old train station used to be, near University Ave.