[Peace] Fwd:[ANSWER]: Sept. 14-16: Emergency actions to Sto (1 of 2

jencart jencart at mycidco.com
Sun Aug 25 05:15:18 CDT 2002

STOP THE WAR ON IRAQ BEFORE IT STARTS!

EMERGENCY ACTIONS SEPT. 14-16
in Washington DC, San Francisco, Los Angeles & more

*If you would like to hold an emergency action in your
city to Stop the War on Iraq Before it Starts, email
dc at internationalanswer.org*

The weekend of September 14-16 is the time in which the  military-industrial complex will host its annual arms
bazaar in Washington DC where Corporate America's arms  dealers get to display their latest high tech weapons to
the militaries and arms merchants of the world. This
year's arms bazaar will feature Donald Rumsfeld as the  guest of honor. We will be there to demonstrate at the
arms bazaar. Join us in Washington DC on the morning of  Monday, September 16 at Connecticut Ave. and Woodley NW.

On the West Coast, join us on September 14 at the Port of  Oakland in a march and rally co-sponsored by A.N.S.W.E.R.  and the International Longshore & Warehouse Workers, Lo.  10 (Dockworkers), and in Los Angeles at the Westwood
Federal Building.

ONLY THE PEOPLE CAN STOP THE WAR!

There won't be a real national debate on a planned
invasion of Iraq until the people are in the streets. We
salute the activists in Portland, OR yesterday and
Stockton, CA today who are confronting Bush and who have  stood against pepper spray, rubber bullets and police
brutality to tell him that they will not allow his
adventurous war of aggression to be waged.

This war can be stopped. Bush, Rumsfeld, Cheney and
company can be stopped. But the essential element must be  the mobilization of a massive anti-war movement in the  streets. The debate that is opening now to public view
from within the political establishment presents a
necessity for all anti-war forces to become a major factor  in generating an authentic opposition to U.S. war plans in  the Middle East.

We can't leave it to the military establishment to decide
when and how they will go to war and to define the debate.  We must tell Bush and his corporate and Big Oil patrons
that we will not allow this to happen.

We must remember that it was the intervention of the
people around the world that stopped a new U.S.-British
war against Iraq in February 1998. Demonstrations all over  the Middle East. and the famous humiliation of
then-Secretary of State Madeleine Albright, Secretary of  Defense William Cohen and National Security Advisor Sandy  Berger at Ohio State, were followed by hundreds of
protests across the country.

The Bush administration has attempted to create an aura of  inevitability about a war that need not happen and can be  stopped. They have created a juggernaut with almost daily  pronouncements about the inevitability of an invasion.
This propaganda campaign was designed to paralyze public  opinion in the United States while carrying out a
psychological war against Iraq. Now there are voices from  within the political and military establishment itself
that are challenging the right-wing, ultra-militaristic,
pro-war policy of Cheney, Rumsfeld, Rice, Wolfowitz, et  al. (See General Brent Scowcroft's op-ed in 8/15 Wall
Street Journal and front page story and lead editorial in  8/16 New York Times.)

The debate within the political establishment is limited
to a discussion as to whether a U.S. military invasion
carried out without the slimmest credible pretext would  upset the political equilibrium and stability inside the
oil-rich Middle East and damage U.S. long term interests.  For our part, from the point of view of the progressive  anti-war movement, we oppose an invasion of Iraq because  it would be an illegal act of aggression. Unlike the
political establishment figu