[Peace] town mtg Wednesday

Ricky Baldwin baldwinricky at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 26 14:57:15 CDT 2002

I think it's a good idea, while we're "asking the tough questions" - and
criticizing Tim J., to make clear what we want him to do.  It might be
obvious to us, but not to everyone.

Personally I'd have to pinch myself if I saw Timmy:

1. Speak out against the proposed attack on Iraq, and vote accordingly.
Propose or cosponsor measures in the House blocking any invasion or any
further attacks, lifting the sanctions and stripping the President of "war
powers."

2.  Advocate for testimony before the House from Scott Ritter, show the
German film of alleged weapons sites, etc.

3.  Propose or cosponsor a complete cessation of US aid to Israel until all
aggression against Palestinian targets ends - with only partial restoration
until Palestinian statehood or establishment of a single secular state with
universal suffrage and equal rights.

4.  Propose or cosponsor bills requiring the complete pullout of US military
forces and operatives from Afghanistan, Colombia, Saudi Arabia, the Persian
Gulf and Eastern Mediterranean, Somalia, the Philippines, and the immediate
payment of reparations in US dollars (not in kind) to the peoples of every
country the US has attacked in the last 50 years.  This would involve
giving, as my grandfather used to say from the pulpit, not until it hurts -
that's not enough - but until it feels good.

5.  And, why not?  Every former US President now living (if competent)
should be tried for high treason, crimes against humanity and violations of
international law too numerous to list here.

This is just off the top of my head, of course.  I'm sure I left something
out, and probably erred somewhere, too.  But why not ask for what we really
want him to do (not "step down" - that would be rude)?

Ricky

>From: Dlind49 at aol.com
>To: jnp at ux6.cso.uiuc.edu, peace at lists.groogroo.com
>Subject: Re: [Peace] town mtg Wednesday
>Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2002 12:50:29 EDT
>
>A suggestion to increase effectiveness is to prepare a point paper, to give
>to Eric Woehrman (LD), Jon Morris (Vets/ military), Jeremy (district dir),
>Matthew Bisbee (local coordinator- projects-constituent services) and Tim
>Johnson with specific issues to address and resolve.  We should include
>suggested resolution methods/ procedures for each issue.  I had discussion
>with Matthew in Tim's office this morning and I have already enumerated
>some
>concerns. He asked for point paper with issues and suggested actions. This
>is
>an opportunity to get issues addressed with suggestions on what to do. We
>should also make copies of point paper to hand out to press or others who
>are
>interested at the townhall meeting.

“It is only those who do nothing who make no mistakes. - Peter Kropotkin