[Peace] Seed Saving Party--Squash Imperialism!

Kit Condill bodhi at bluestem.prairienet.org
Sun Dec 8 23:52:30 CST 2002

Hey Everybody,

	Come one, come all, to the first annual Seed Saving Party
this Saturday, December 14th at 4:30 pm in beautiful Homer, Illinois,
an event both social and agricultural (and only incidentally
political, unless you count the politics of food), both squishy and
slimy, messy not dressy, boppy but not sloppy, lest the seeds get
mixed up.  You see, my family and I run The Great Pumpkin Patch down
in Arthur and we have taken the trouble to isolate several of our 300
kinds of pumpkins, squash, and gourds so that they (hopefully) have
not become cross-pollinated with any other kinds of pumpkins, squash,
and gourds, and now as winter wears on it is high time to cut them
open, scoop out the seeds with our fingers, and spread them out on
cardboard pop flats to dry so that we can plant these rare squashes
next year and send some of the extra seed off to the old heirloom
seed company.  Dozens and dozens of Crown pumpkins, Bushel and Gakhaa
gourds, and Campeche, Bush Baby, Tricolor Cushaw, and Seminole squash
are waiting to yield up their treasures (and maybe go home with you
to eat, freshly cleaned).  So come on out!
	Me and Emily's place is at 204 North Waverly Street in Homer,
a town of 1,300 souls about 20 miles east and south of
Champaign-Urbana.  If you take I-74 east out of C-U, you can get off
at Exit 197 for Royal, Ogden, and Homer, take a right onto Highway 49
and go straight south through Ogden (crossing Highway 150) and
continuing for about 5 miles.  A few blocks into Homer you should
turn right after the Mobil station onto Second Street, go three
blocks and take another right onto Waverly.  We are the second house
on the left, beige-colored with a burgundy door.  So come on in!
Some of my family and (non-peace list) friends are coming too.
Please bring your own food and drink, if you desire any, as we have
no idea how many people to provide for.
	(You can also take Highway 130 south almost to Philo, turning
left at the sign for Sidney before you reach The Center Of The
Universe (a.k.a.Philo) and continuing on straight through Sidney to
Homer (about 18 miles).  After the grade school you will cross
Josephine Street and then take a left onto Waverly. We are the second
house on the left past the stop sign.)
	So if you're feeling all urban and jaded, head out to the
boonies, roll up your sleeves, get your hands dirty and have all the
fun of jack-o'-lantern-making without the finished product.  I guess
you could carve them afterwards if you really wanted to. Be there or
be square!
--
"Keep in mind always the present you are constructing,
It should be the future you want."