[Peace] Meeting Notes/Announcements

Meridith Kruse bmmk at soltec.net
Mon Dec 9 08:27:05 CST 2002

AWARE Meeting
Sunday December 8th
About 25 people Attending

I.	Charlotte Green, facilitator, asks for timekeeper (Al Kagan) and
notetaker (Meridith Kruse).  We then did introductions.

II.	Jeff Sowers makes a presentation of Direct Democracy – and specifically
the process of Initiative and Referendum. We currently have a system of I&R
in Illinois but it is only advisory.  We would need to do a petition drive
and collect around 200,000 signatures, this would also require amending the
Illinois Constitution – then people could directly put referendums for vote.
Jeff asked for AWARE to endorse the campaign, but there was a call for more
discussion.  We will continue the discussion at our next meeting.    Jay
Mittenthal announced that the Initiative and Referendum group will meet
Friday December 13th at 5:30pm at the Expresso Royale Café – all welcome.

III.	Carl gave the news of the week in 2’s – (see his notes for specific
events) Carl will be gone next Sunday and asked for someone else to do “news
of the week” – it was agreed that we will all bring a piece of news to
share.

IV.	We then moved to events of last week:
A.	 The Library Display is up, Jay said it looks good, but the resource
lists and other handouts are depleted.  Members of this group will talk
after this meeting to make sure more literature is found.

B.	Protest on Prospect- between 25-30 people there last Saturday.  We need a
sign that says, “We have Jobs!” – there was some heated interaction with an
irate woman in a car
 It was also suggested we have our contact information
on signs – and bring flyers/handouts with more info for drivers who want it.

C.	Postcards For Peace- There was a follow-up article in the News Gazette
and postcards are now on sale and Jane Adams Book Store and the Peace Bazzar
which will be this Saturday from 9am-3pm at Community United Church.

D.	Robert reported on the protest of the DI.  He said there was a march and
rally with chanting slogans like “Hate Speech is Not Free Speech”.  Some
groups are planning to get donations and take out an ad in the DI with both
Palestinians and Israelis to stress our common humanity- watch for it.

E.	Meridith and Martha were in Chicago for UIC Human Rights Symposium on
Guatemala – “Working Together Against Impunity” – Helen Mack, sister of
Myrna Mack, Dianna Ortiz, and Alice Zachman spoke about ongoing human rights
violations in Guatemala.  Meridith posted an article to the IMC site.

F.	Scott Ritter gave presentation on campus last Thursday.  He has produced
a video called “Shifting Sands” which should be available through Illini
Union Board. We will try to get copies.

G.	GEO Won!

H.	Adrienne reported that there was an Iraq Forum at her High School last
week – it was mostly informational, many attended, she thought it was good.

V.	Gabe gave treasurer’s report- we have $3,700 and are passing the hat at
this meeting.

VI.	We then moved into Upcoming Events/Working Groups

A.	Carol Inskeep has contacted Families For Peaceful Tomorrows- they will be
sending a speaker in April.

B.	Racism in Middle East Group – ongoing work – Fred Gottheil has a new
column in the CU City View- write to this paper with your thoughts.

C.	Resolution on Iraq- Carl and others are writing this – will be brought to
both Urbana and Champaign City Councils- Gabe reported that he talked with
Danielle, she said council is refraining from passing “symbolic
 resolutions”- may be better to create resolution against Patriot Act – we
will try to do both.

D.	Day of War Event – Adrienne and Jeff are working on this – a place to go
on day the US announces its full fledge invasion of Iraq.  We decided on
West Side Park- we will meet at 5pm.  Planning continues as to what will
occur – will have bullhorn for speeches, candles, and we need to get
material ready to submit to press.  See Adrienne of Jeff to work on this.

E.	Alternative Media Event – might happen in the Spring – purpose would be
to promote people tuning into and reading alternative media sources.  Carol
and Sandra were working on this –see them if you have ideas.

F.	Martin Luther King Events

A.	Buses going to Washington DC – we have not decided if we’ll rent a
charter bus ($100 per person) or several vans ($75 per person).  Tentatively
we plan to leave Friday January 17th for DC (ANSWER and others are
sponsoring this anti-war march) Then return Sunday morning.  Student Peace
Action is also signing people up – we will decide more at next meeting.

B.	Literature/Leaflets – Peter passed around a flyer he has created with
picture and quote of Martin Luther King- to distribute at churches.  Our
purpose here is to remind people that MLK was not only for civil rights –
but also against War.  This working group will focus on getting pastors to
include some of MLK’s speeches against war in their sermons.  Peter also
contacted Ellen McDonald of Catholic Worker House who will talk with Shelby
from Salem Baptist Church (he is person in charge of MLK prayer breakfast
this year) to see what role AWARE could play.  We also talked about getting
AWARE literature out to churches and perhaps taking out at Ad for AWARE-
more information next week.

C.	Carol and Ricky Baldwin are writing an article for the CU City View on
Martin Luther King- if you have ideas let them know.

VII.	Upcoming Events

A.	Martha Zarate received an urgent action from Christian Peacemakers Team,
many of their human rights accompaniers in Colombia are having their visa’s
revoked and having to leave the country.  She will circulate two letters for
people to sign via email – urging officials in Washington and Bogota to
reinstate these visas.

B.	Everyone should bring a piece of news next week since Carl will be gone.

C.	Peace Bazzar – This Saturday December 15th at Community United Church
from 9am-3pm.  Also – Joan Nelshoppen needs help loading items at her house
this Wednesday from 6-8pm (412 W. Oregon) and then cleaning up after the
Bazzar on Saturday from 3-4:30pm. Contact Joan via email for more
information at:  jnlshppn at prairienet.org

D.	Carolers For Peace! – Practice is this Monday, December 9th at 7pm at 412
W. Illinois at Danielle’s House  - Actual event is this Thursday at 5pm in
downtown Urbana on Main St in Champaign County Courthouse Plaza.

E.	Adrienne mentioned a proposed event – 24-hour letter writing campaign to
be held in a public place (possibly Café Paradiso) – in conjunction Amnesty
International events in many places – there was significant interest from
our group to participate- more information on this soon.

F.	Kit invited everyone to a “Seed Saving Party” on December 14th (This
Saturday) at 4:30pm at Emily and Kit’s house in Homer.

G.	Monday from 3-5pm the University Senate will consider resolution against
War in Iraq – this will happen at Foellinger Auditorium.

H.	Other events that I forgot?  Please let everyone know
 I spaced out at
the end here

Then we met in working groups and the meeting ended around 7pm.
See everyone on Prospect next Saturday 2-4pm, unless you're at the Peace
Bazzar!:)