[Peace] initiative and referendum in illinois

jeffsowers at swissinfo.org jeffsowers at swissinfo.org
Sun Dec 15 13:34:45 CST 2002

Last week I and Jay Mittenthal proposed a resolution to AWARE to support
initiative and referendum(I&R) in the state of Illinois (see resolution
below).  After a presentation it was proposed that AWARE pass the resolution,
but one member asked for more time to consider it, so it was decided to
put off the decision until the next week. I agreed to post the resolution
on the list. Since I am a bit late doing this, it may be that members will
want to defer a decision for another week. Below is a brief explanation
of I&R and reasons to support it, followed by the resolution.

Thanks for taking the time to consider this issue.

Jeff Sowers

I&R, often referred to as a form of ?direct democracy,? is a procedure for
empowering citizen activists to place proposed laws or constitutional amendments
on a statewide ballot by collecting signatures on a petition. Currently
24 U.S. states have some variation of state I&R. Most I&R laws were established
during the progressive era in the early 1900?s.

This democratic process has been used successfully in these states in recent
years to enact higher minimum wage, campaign finance reform, medical marijuana,
death with dignity, stronger environmental protection, animal cruelty laws,
restrictions on nuclear power, more education funding and smaller class
size, land conservation, and many other progressive laws.  While I&R has
also been used to pass some conservative measures, on balance it is has
been a VERY good thing for the progressive movement. It is part of the Green
Party?s national platform, and is supported by numerous other progressive
organizations and individuals, including Ralph Nader, the Public Interest
Research Group (PIRG), Common Cause, and the Humane Society.

This issue is important for the peace movement because there is good reason
to believe that I&R at the U.S. national level could effectively by used
to ensure that the U.S. government adhered to the U.S. Constitution and
international law, enact environmental, worker rights, and human rights
standards in international trade agreements, and force controversial measure
such as the U.S. Patriot Act, Fast Track, and the Congressional resolution
authorizing the use of force against Iraq to national referendums where
they could be defeated.

Establishing I&R in the state of Illinois will not only be a major victory
for the public interest in our state, but, given the size of the state,
a major step toward realizing I&R at the U.S. national level.

To achieve I&R in the state of Illinois will require amending the Illinois
State Constitution. This requires 3/5 of the state legislature to approve
submitting a proposed amendment to a statewide referendum, and then passing
the referendum. Polling data have consistently shown that a majority of
the public is already in favor of I&R. Given this existing foundation of
public support, we believe a successful campaign is possible by building
a large and broad coalition of organizations that are focused on issues
that have been served well by I&R in other states. The major elements of
this coalition are: labor, environment and land conservation, health care,
campaign finance reform, animal rights, marijuana reform, third parties,
tax reform, term limits, and anti-nuclear organizations.

Pulling together and coordinating this kind of broad coalition will require
a dedicated core group to serve as a catalyst. There are currently three
of us working on the project, and our top priority is finding other individuals
or groups who will help out at the core level. Please let us know if you
are interested.

The following are several websites with good information on I&R:

http://pirg.org/democracy/democracy.asp?id2=6004&id3=CFR&

www.vote.org

www.ni4d.org

www.iandrinstitute.org

*****RESOLUTION PROPOSED TO AWARE ON DECEMBER 8, 2002*****

Resolution in Support of Amending the Illinois State Constitution to Establish
the People?s Right of Initiative and Referendum (I&R).

Definitions:

Initiative: The right of the people to place a proposed law or constitutional
amendment on the state ballot by gathering a specified number of signatures
on a petition. The proposal is enacted if it receives a majority of votes
in a statewide election.

Referendum: The right of the people to place a law passed by the state legislature
on the state ballot by gathering a specified number of signatures on a petition.
The law is repealed if it is rejected by a majority of voters in a statewide
election.

Resolution:

Whereas, in a democracy the people are sovereign and have a right to directly
enact law and amend constitutions, and to exercise this right requires institutional
support;

Whereas, representative government is often corrupted by dishonest politicians
and the influence of special interests;

Whereas, the people have an interest in establishing institutions through
which they can check the power of elected representatives and hold them
accountable to carrying out the interests and will of the people;

Therefore Be it Resolved,

We, ____________________________, support amending the Illinois State Constitution
in order to provide for legally binding I&R for amending the state constitution
and enacting and repealing state laws.

Furthermore, we believe I&R in the state of Illinois should include:

1) Reasonable signature requirements not exceeding 5% of the number of citizens
who voted in the last gubernatorial election.

2) Provisions for a state voters pamphlet that includes the full text and
official summaries of all ballot measures, as well as arguments pro and
con.

3) The adoption of fair and reasonable petitioning requirements that do
not unduly inhibit the gathering of signatures.

This resolution was adopted by _________________________________________,