[Peace] Tell Senate to Dump Trent Lott SEND FAX~a5066u4843t0~ (fwd)

patton paul ppatton at ux1.cso.uiuc.edu
Sun Dec 15 16:55:13 CST 2002

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2002 14:41:15 -0800 (PST)
From: TrueMajority <alerts at truemajority.org>
To: ppatton at uiuc.edu
Subject: Tell Senate to Dump Trent Lott                      SEND
    FAX~a5066u4843t0~

Trent Lott's Record on Racism Is Embarrassing
Tell Your Senator to Resist His Bid To Be Majority Leader

(If you are already a member of TrueMajority, you can send your free faxes by
hitting Reply and then Send. A letter will automatically be faxed for you to
each of your Senators. Please forward this message to your friends, family and
colleagues! If this message was forwarded to you or if you'd like to edit your
letter, click this link to send your fax:)

http://www.truemajority.com/index.asp?action=2358&ms=lott1&ref=4843

Senate Majority Leader Trent Lott's most recent celebration of racism demands
action. The United States Senate must not have as its leader someone who still
wishes a segregationist had won the presidency in 1948 so "we wouldn't have all
these problems now." Join with us in urging your Senator to take a stand
against his bid to be Majority Leader. You can see a copy of the fax at the
bottom of this message.

Senate Majority Leader Lott said that our nation would have been better off had
Harry Truman lost to Strom Thurmond - who said during the '48 presidential
campaign that "all the laws of Washington and all the bayonets of the Army
cannot force the Negroes into our homes, our schools, our churches" - is an
affront to every civil rights victory since. (For the record, Thurmond's
Dixiecrat Party's platform stated: "We stand for the segregation of the races
and the racial integrity of each race.")

Far from the "poor choice of words" he's claimed, this latest embarrassment
repeats the Mississippi Senator's long history of racism against the Voting
Rights Act extension; against creating a federal holiday for civil rights
leader Martin Luther King Jr.; the sole vote against the confirmation of Judge
Roger Gregory, the first African American judge ever seated on the 4th U.S.
Circuit Court of Appeals - while speaking up for racist groups like Council of
Conservative Citizens and Bob Jones University which prohibited dating by
students of different races.

The man didn't mis-speak. This is who he has been and who he is. He's unfit to
head the United States Senate.

Here is the letter you'll send with a click:

Dear Senator,

Senator Trent Lott's outrageous praise of Strom Thurmond's blatantly
segregationist 1948 presidential campaign is not an aberration, but the
culmination of a career of consistently opposing key civil rights principles
and protections. It would be a national embarrassment to have Trent Lott
leading the U.S. Senate.

I urge you to resist his bid to be elected Majority Leader in January and to
lobby your colleagues in the Senate to do the same.

Sincerely,
(We'll add your name and address here)

And in Case you missed it, here is what Trent Lott actually said about Strom
Thurmond's 1948 Presidential bid when he broke from the Democrats to run as a
candidate who would support segregation forever:

"I want to say this about my state: When Strom Thurmond ran for president, we
voted for him. We're proud of it. And if the rest of the country had followed
our lead, we wouldn't have had all these problems over all these years."