[Peace] AWARE Notes 2-17-02

C. G. Estabrook galliher at alexia.lis.uiuc.edu
Mon Feb 18 11:00:26 CST 2002

Clear and complete -- thanks, Peter.

One slight correction on a subject close to Our Leader's heart.  The AP
reported percentages as follows:

President Bush on Tuesday set a goal of reducing illegal drug use by 25
percent over the next five years by improving law enforcement and treating
more addicts. His administration's anti-drug strategy seeks a 10 percent
reduction in drug use within two years. "We're putting the fight against
drugs in the center of our national agenda"...

The percentages that the AP doesn't report include the general agreement
that whites make up 70% of drug users in this country, but that 95% of
those in prison for drug use are black or latino/a.  War-on-Drugs as
control of the dangerous classes, anyone?  Works at home and abroad...

--CGE