[Peace] Doc. Films-IMF & World Bank: "Banking on Life and Debt""Two Trevors go to Washington"

Jamie McGowan jmcgowan at uiuc.edu
Tue Feb 19 16:27:53 CST 2002

fyi...

Since Ben Cashdan, an acclaimed documentary filmmaker, will be a guest of
Unit One on February 24th, we are adding one of his films to this
Wednesday's Documentary Film series.  In addition to "Banking on Life and
Debt," we will show "Two Trevors Go To Washington."  The two films together
will be slightly over one hour.  I hope you can make it to both (details
follow).
WEDNESDAY, 2/20 in Rm. 101, International Studies Bldg. 12:00-1:30 pm

Here's a description of the added film:

"Two Trevors go to Washington" Washington, DC, 34 min., Preamble Center, 2000
An incisive and entertaining account of the April 16, 2000 International
Monetary  Fund and World Bank meetings and protests in Washington, DC. as
experienced through the eyes of two opposing South Africans, both veterans
of the anti-apartheid struggle, who differ strongly on economic issues. On
the inside is South African Finance Minister Trevor Manuel, the champion of
South Africa's conservative economic policy introduced in 1996.
Johannesburg activist Trevor Ngwane joined the protesters in the streets to
call for immediate debt forgiveness and the closure of the international
financial institutions.

DOCUMENTING DEVELOPMENT: an international documentary film series
Wednesday, February 20th
"Banking on Life and Debt"   &  "Two Trevors Go To Washington"

1995, 30 min.
Demonstrates how millions of children are sacrificed for the sake of
financial stability. Traces the post-World War II change which led to the
current world economic order. Examines the role of the World Bank. Viewers
travel to Ghana, Brazil, and the Philippines for reports.

Sponsored by the Asian Educational Media Service, Center for African
Studies, Center for Latin American and Caribbean Studies, Program in South
Asian and Middle Eastern Studies, Russian and East European Center, and
Women and Gender in Global Perspectives Program