[Peace] Re: How Can We Justify This? (fwd)

Barbara Dyskant bdyskant at earthlink.net
Mon Feb 25 10:49:40 CST 2002

Yes, I know Dennis Kucinich-- he is quite a human being.  I met him in DC
last spring, when Erek and I went with the Alliance for Nuclear
Accountability team on the yearly excursion to meet with congresspeople,
the DOE, etc. and speak with them about with nuclear weapons, radioactive
waste, etc.   Rep. Kucinich introduced excellent legislation (the Kucinich
Amendment) concerning the the disgusting nuclear arsenal and nuclear
stance, and has "stuck his neck out" in Congress in an unresponsive
atmosphere.   Especially after meeting after meeting with stony-faced
people, it was like a breath of fresh air to run into him (and a few
others).  I was saddened when none except for Barbara Lee raised their
voices immediately after the invasion of Afghanistan

In addition to our normal meetings, he was invited to meet us and address
our group one evening.  He gave an incredible, powerful, moving speech
about the weapons complex, human responsiblity, etc.-- a total surprise
coming from one of the congresspeople.   I was a  surprised he hasn't spken
out before this.out  -- I was waiting to hear from him, to be honest.  I'm
glad to hear from him -- it sounds like the person we met back last spring.
 If only people would listen......

It makes me really sad, furious in fact, that most of our "elected"
officials don't give a whit about the environment, people, etc.-- and it is
even more emphasized when one or two of the elected officials really do the
right thing.  When will people learn?  When will people realize that our
elected officials are REALLY supposed to represent US, and demand that they
do so?  When will people just stand up and demand peace and justice and
kindness, and the real security that this brings for everyone?

That is why I'm with AWARE and doing all this stuff.  That's why I'm so
glad all of you are here too.   Enough rambling-- thanks for everything.
And thanks Susan for sending off Dennis Kucinich's speech.

Peace,
Barbara