[Peace] What's happening? A LOT!

parenti susan rose sparenti at ux1.cso.uiuc.edu
Sun Jan 20 09:15:22 CST 2002

You've already seen a couple things that are happening as the new year gets
going, and different projects need assistance.  The anti-war movement is
neither asleep nor discouraged. It does need your help.

AID FOR ANTI-TERORRISM TARGETS:  Al Kagan is building a group in support of
people who may be targeted by new anti-terrorism laws.  He and others will
be desinging a pledge card and asking as many people as possible to sign
it.  The pledge states that if someone is persecuted in the so-called "war
on terror", the signer will assist them.  It's an important initiative that
strengthens AWARE's anti-racism and civil liberties efforts, and Al needs
help making it happen.  Please contact him if you can help out
(akagan at uiuc.edu).

FUNDRAISER:  Mark your calendar!  On February 9 at the Bread Company, we'll
be entertained and uplifted in a fundraiser for AWARE.  The fundraiser will
help pay for educational materials (brochures, booklets, etc.), teach-in
publicity, and other costs we incur in our anti-war, anti-racism
efforts.  The planners need help with publicity, phone calling, ticket
selling, and more.  Contact Lisa Chason at 344-6832 or Carol Inskeep at
344-9155 or inskeep at alexia.lis.uiuc.edu to help out.

8,000 CANDLE VIGIL:  This is a BIG effort and we'll need everyone possible
if we want to pull it off. U New Hampshire Prof. Mark Herold told us that
as of December 6, world press had reported that 3400 civilians had been
killed, and the number continues to rise.  On Wed. February 20 at 8 p.m.
we're going to attempt to light a candle for each of the victims of the
Sep. 11 attacks and the US counter-attacks.  WE'LL NEED HUNDREDS OF PEOPLE
TO HELP LIGHT ALL THE CANDLES.  Please contact me,
peterm at shout.net/217-367-1336 if you want to help.

TEACH-IN III:  AWARE's relentless education efforts continue in 2002 with
the third teach-in.  Date, time, location, and content are all
to-be-determined, so now is the time to get involved.  Contact Emily at
eturner at uiuc.edu or Raia at raiafink at uiuc.edu.

TALK ABOUT THE WAR:  The speaker's bureau/Church Ladies Against War has a
list of speakers ready to address your group, be it a church congregation
(or just a social justice committee), a union, a book club, a class--you
name the venue, a speaker will be there!  Jeff Glassman
(lfay at prairienet.org/344-2903) laid the groundwork, so contact him if you
want a speaker or if you know someone who does.

ANTI-RACISM CAUCUS:  People interested in brainstorming ways to fight
racism will begin meeting at the School for Designing a Society at 1 p.m.
on Thursday, Jan. 10.  Contact Mark Enslin for details (enslin at prairienet.org).

DIRECT ACTION:  Demonstrate your opposition to carpet bombing civilians by
joining Laddies and Ladies Against War, Saturdays at 12:30 at Prospect and
I-74.  As time passes, more drivers are reacting to the people standing
with their signs.  Police reassurance that we have a right to speak out is
a weekly occurrence.  Join the only glimmer of hope/opposition visible to
many in our community.  Catch a ride at 12:15 at the School for Designing a
Society, University and Race, Urbana.

AWARE-TV:  Kord Russel has taken the initiative to videotape and broadcast
anti-war information on Urbana Public TV.  Cable subscribers should switch
their sets to Channel 6 on Thursday (1/10) at 8 p.m.  AWARE-TV is a
bi-weekly production.  Call 344-7822 if you'd like to help.

"GOT REVENGE?"  Art and Revolution will continue meeting at 311 West High
street, on the corner of Birch and High at 7pm, every Wednesday.  A&R have
brought us banners, patches, signs and many other displays of opposition to
the war.  Imagine a picture of GWB with a red "blood mustache" and the
caption "Got Revenge" above.  Below are details of the civilian deaths in
Afghanistan.  Talk to Rob for GR? or booklet details
(rob at anacroatan.pdnt.com/384-5123) or Pauline for A&R details
(alice_redqueen at hotmail.com).

PEACE-DISCUSS:  A document archive including Carl Estabrook's weekly
updates (with citations) is available on the 'peace-discuss' email
list.  Go to lists.groogroo.com to subscribe or visit the archive at
http://lists.cu.groogroo.com/mailman/archive/peace-discuss/

STATE-WIDE:  Taking a trip out of town and you want to find anti-war
activities?  Try calling these folks:  Springfield -- Ron Sakolsky,
217-206-7887,/ sakolsky at uis.edu; Bloomington (IL) -- Nick Berveiler,
309-451-5852/naberve at ilstu.edu; Peoria -- Jack Ryan, 309-686-2887; Danville
-- Tom Solon, 217-442-0163; Carbondale -- Peace Coalition of S. IL,
618-565-1063, cwilliams at consept.com; Bloomington (IN) -- Bob Kendall,
aword at somethingorother.com; Chicago -- see the Chicago Events Calendar
(nwrc2600 at juno.com) or call the New World Resource Center, (773) 227-4011;
St. Louis -- Don Fitz, 314-727-8554.