[Peace] anti-war activist in-residence at Unit One/Allen Hall

Laura Haber comradelaura at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 22 14:58:20 CST 2002

please forward:

Bill Ayers
In-Residence at Unit One/Allen Hall 1/28-2/2

Bill Ayers is a school reform activist and Distinguished Professor of Education
at the University of Illinois at Chicago. He is founder of the Center for Youth
and Society and founder and co-director of the Small Schools Workshop. He has
written extensively about social justice, democracy, and education including
Teaching for Social Justice, A Kind and Just Parent: The Children of Juvenile
Court, and an essay in Racism Explained to My Daughter. His interests focus on
the political and cultural contexts of schooling as well as the meaning and
ethical purposes of teachers, students, and families. His most recent book,
Fugitive Days, is a memoir that chronicles the anti-war movement of the 60’s,
the Weather Underground, and his life on the run.

Monday, January 28
6:30pm – Meet the Guest Reception –in the guest apt, rm 145 Allen
8pm – Claiming an Education: Moving Beyond Passivity and Cynicism

Tuesday, January 29
7pm – 9/11: Reflections on Terrorism and War
9pm – Fugitive Days: A Memoir About Political Activism, the Peace Movement and
Life on the Run

Wednesday, January 30
7pm – The Schools We Have, the Schools We Need: School Reform and School
Transformation
9pm – Understanding and Documenting the Lives of Others

Thursday, January 31
5pm – Dinner Discussion: Learning to Teach, Teaching to Learn – in the Allen
Private Dining Room
7pm – A Kind and Just Parent: The Children of Juvenile Court
9pm – Teaching for Social Justice In and Out of the Classroom

All programs are open to the public and take place in the South Rec Room of
Allen Hall, 1005 W. Gregory, Urbana, unless noted. Call 333-8351 for more information.