[Peace] July 4th challenge for AWARE

Ricky Baldwin baldwinricky at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 3 23:30:12 CDT 2002

Now is the time for all good people to come to the aid of AWARE -

The drumming group who originally agreed to lead the second part of our
parade idea, the "march to the beat of a different drummer" bit, has backed
out, apparently because of our politics.  This happened about an hour ago,
as I write.  All attempts to recruit back-ups have so far failed quickly and
easily.  So, we are faced with a choice: we can go ahead with the first part
of the parade, the "drumbeat of war" bit, and just be negative even though
most people wanted this to be a positive thing, about emphasizing
alternatives; or we can just bow out in silence; ...

... or we can rise to the challenge and make our own music and have a blast
doing it!  I think that sounds like what AWARE is all about, how about you?
We rise to the challenge, we make our own music, and we have a blast doing
it!  A couple of us have drums at home, I have a kazoo and I can borrow my
kids' toy xylophone... Several others likely have something they can/could
play.  Even an aluminum pot can make beautiful music, as the folks in
Argentina know. (I hope we play something less noisy than they, but que sera
sera!)  There's a saying, I think it's in Zimbabwe: "If you can talk, you
can sing.  If you can walk, you can dance."

So, come one, come all!  Bring your pots and pans, your kazoos and wazoos,
your tomtoms and tumtums.  Bring your harmonicas and horns, your bangers and
clangers, your ringers and dingers, whatever hoots or toots or tings or
pings, anything, everything, all the instruments ever dreamt of under the
great wide heavens, and let's play for peace!  (Yes, the pun is
intentional.)

This is gonna be so much fun!  (and it's important)

"Every time you think, you weaken the nation." - Moe Howard