[Peace] AWARE Minutes, July 7, 2002

Al Kagan akagan at uiuc.edu
Sun Jul 7 21:44:59 CDT 2002

AWARE Minutes, July 7, 2002

1. Danielle's  sing-a-long.  Applause!

2. Socially conscious investing.  Russ Rybicki  presented the
following points.  We need to invest due to inflation.  Socially
responsible investing incorporates one's values into the investment
process.  There are 5 kinds of screens: avoidance, proactive,
shareholder activism, community investment, and venture capitalism.
It is difficult to find everything one wants in the same package.
Contact Russ at 239-2399, rrybicki at fwg.com.

3. Treasurer's report.  Raia sent the following report.
"Currently the balance is a few dollars shy of $600. This doesn't
account for any transactions after June 5th, including reimbursements
for July 4th activities.

Something to think about: about $800 was spent just on the community
symposium (teach-in #3) and the event only brought in $100 in
donations. I don't think people realize how much the community
symposium cost, partially because planners for different aspects of
the event were not in cahoots with one another (at least
financially). Perhaps AWARE needs a plan to organize and approve
spending? Maybe a committee? I would be happy to be a part of that
committee, even organize it.

I know that the point of the teach-ins is not to make a profit,
however, to put things in perspective, the first teach-in was done
before AWARE had any money, out of pocket expenses were less than
$100, and the event brought in about $200 in donations. The second
teach-in cost AWARE $160 and brought in about $400 in donations.
(Peter Miller graciously funded Kate Sorenson out of his own pocket)
Some of the expenses from all three teach-ins was for video tapes,
and footage from all the teach-ins were used for AWARE TV, and was
also given to the IMC. (I consider this a good
use of $$$)

Another important issue is that AWARE has already paid the IMC $180
in advance for space usage, so if we're still collecting rent money
at each meeting, it should be going back to AWARE, not the IMC.
(unless AWARE has decided to use that money to sponsor the Public-i
or IMC)."

After discussion, it was agreed that Vicki and Mike will work with
Raia to form a committee for financial oversight and fundraising.
This committee will need to coordinate with event organizers.

4. Comments on the July 4th Parade.  We will have a video.  A couple
of people expressed trepidation on how we would be received at first,
but all were gratified in the end. There was a very positive
reaction.  A lot of thought and preparation went into it.  Signs were
bold and passionate but not provocative.  We are making progress on
shifting the debate. We should be proud of ourselves.  The Greens
felt the same positive energy. The juxtaposition of concepts with
Mis[s] Information worked very well.

5. Carl's News of the Week.

6. Future event announcements.
July 10, 7 PM, IMC, book signing by Stephen Hill, Fixing Elections.
July 26, Protest at Boeing World Headquarters, 150 N. Riverside ,
downtown Chicago.
July 27-28, Peace Action National Conference, John Marshall Law
School, Chicago. For info, call 312-566-9780.

7. September 11th Anniversary Brainstorming.
The Dialogue on Middle East group is planning something.
We could/should:
Have a direct action march and rally.
Expose War on Terrorism as a lie, and cover for corporate malfeasance.
Give people as many options to participate as possible.
Do something in coordination with other groups in town. Possibly send
a questionnaire.
Learn from the 6-month anniversary event; do something that can't be
easily manipulated.
Have a presence at mainstream events as we did on July 4th.
Start an impeachment campaign for Bush and his partners in crime.
Mourn the loss of civil rights
Have theme "Terrorism in the Wake of Terrorism," equivalence of US
state actions to 9/11.
Try to get a speaker from one of the families of people killed on 9/11.
Try to get Medea Benjamin as a speaker.
Have two tracks: direct action with possible arrests and community events.
Check to see about national and international planning.
Edit the Public i for September.
Have a huge meal event.
Have photo exhibit from Afghanistan.
Sponsor someone to go on Global Exchange trip to Afghanistan & come
back to speak.
Expose lies, say what we have gained and lost since 9/11. We need
ways to invert statements.
Do a media campaign with bus ads and billboards, with fundraiser.
Do local TV program.

There are 4 main strategies: fundraising, direct action,
community-oriented action, and media campaign.

Vicki will research what is already being planned by mainstream and
progressive groups.
Kim will call Global Exchange to get trip information.
Russ will investigate media costs.
We should all write to David Thiel at WILL now to request an AWARE TV program.

8.  The next meeting is July 14, 5PM at the IMC.  Carol will find a
facilitator. The Kruses will present a Cuba program.

Minutes by Al Kagan
--

Al Kagan
Africana Unit, Room 328