[Peace] Fwd:[ANSWER]: Jaoudat Abouzza released w/ help of mass campa

Ricky Baldwin baldwinricky at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 17 01:52:48 CDT 2002

This is the first good news in a very scary story.  I'm still concerned
about the validity of the tooth extraction part, however: does anyone have
any information about this?  It seems highly unlikely to me, although these
days it's hard to know.

Ricky

>From: "jencart" <jencart at mycidco.com>
>To: peace at lists.groogroo.com
>Subject: [Peace] Fwd:[ANSWER]: Jaoudat Abouzza released w/ help of mass
>campa
>Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2002 23:15:22 EDT

>MASS CAMPAIGN
>HELPED TO WIN RELEASE
>OF PALESTINIAN ACTIVIST
>JAOUDAT ABOUZZA
>FROM INS CUSTODY
>
>After 41 days of illegal detention, Palestinian activist
>Jaoudat Abouazza is now a free man in Canada. Abouazza was  arrested May 30
>by Cambridge police as part of a national  wave of arrests targeting
>Palestinian activists, was held  in INS custody, subjected to extreme
>conditions to the
>point of extracting his teeth by force.  Yet, he stood up
>for his principles and retained his personal integrity in
>the face of enormous pressure.
>
>A strong public defense campaign involving hundreds of
>letters to INS officials, protests and visits and
>investigations has finally led to Jaoudat Abouazza's
>voluntary exit to Canada, where he is a citizen.
>
>BACKGROUND OF THE CASE
>
>On the evening of May 30, Abouazza was stopped by the  Cambridge,
>Massachusetts police on the pretext of a minor  traffic violation.  Without
>being charged with a crime or  read his rights by the arresting officers,
>he was
>handcuffed and brought to the Cambridge police station.  Within hours,
>Abouazza would find himself in jail being
>interrogated by the FBI for suspicion of "terrorism." Over  that weekend he
>was held without bail and interrogated 7  times at all hours of day and
>night without a lawyer
>present.  The reason cited in court was the presence in  his car of
>leaflets for a June 9 Boston demonstration
>called by A.N.S.W.E.R. protesting an "Israeli Day"
>festival in Boston along with electric wire.  He was then  held for the INS
>who picked him up and brought him to
>Bristol County Jail on Tuesday, June 3.
>
>While in jail, Jaoudat was subjected to repeated beatings  and arbitrary
>lockdowns and solitary confinement. On
>Sunday, June 16, guards removed him from his cell and
>forcibly held him down in a chair while several teeth were  extracted from
>his mouth, and half of a broken tooth was  left in his mouth to continue to
>bleed. Members of the
>Jaoudat Abouazza Defense Committee who visited that
>evening saw the wounds in Jaoudat's mouth. He was not  provided with
>antibiotics or pain killers. Two days later
>a delegation including the Executive Director of the Civil  Liberties Union
>of Massachusetts, the Canadian Consular  Agent, and Jaoudat's state court
>lawyer visited him, and  demanded medical records about the treatment
>Jaoudat had  received. Subsequently Jaoudat's primary care physician  Dr.
>Lana Habash attempted to visit and examine Jaoudat but  was denied access
> [...]

"...ironically, perhaps, the best organised dissenters in the world today
are anarchists, who are busily undermining capitalism while the rest of the
left is still trying to form committees."
               -- Jeremy Hardy, The Guardian (UK)