[Peace] Call for help from Ram Rahat-Goodman

Meridith Kruse bmmk at soltec.net
Tue Jul 23 10:43:09 CDT 2002

There's a Limit to Incitement Rabbi Shlomo Aviner: It's permissible to kill
refuseniks  Rabbi Shlomo Aviner, one of the most important of the Judea and
Samaria Rabbis (the West Bank), published an article that permitted killing
soldiers who refuse to serve in the Occupied Territories. "We are in a state
of war, and it is forbidden to criticize the army" wrote Rabbi Aviner in the
bulletin "B'ahava u'bemuna" (In Love and Faith), that is distributed in
thousands of copies in synagogues throughout  Israel. "Woe to the informer,
woe to the refuser. Rabbi Naftali Zvi Yehuda Berlin, the head of the Wolozin
Academy, wrote that one who weakens  the hand of the commander is liable to
death, since he endangers the entire nation. Rabbi Aviner's words of
incitement, and his permit of bloodletting against those who refuse to take
part in the Occupation, reminds us of distant days - when internal hate
caused the destruction of the Temple - and not so distant days, when similar
religious judgments were issued against the late Prime Minister Yitzchak
Rabin. Yesh Gvul demands that Attorney-General Rubinstein order the Police
to investigate the Rabbi Aviner's words of incitement - words that are
intolerable in a democratic society. We demand that Aviner be put on trial,
and wonder if after the next political assassination, the Attorney-General
will claim "I didn't know" , that he didn't understand the handwriting on
the wall and that it was only a matter of some "rotten apples" and not the
persistent incitement of the rabbis of the Occupied Territories. We also
wish to point out that only last week members of the "Young Likud" filed a
complaint of bribery to the Police against Yesh Gvul. This was followed by a
campaign of threats against Israeli musicians who were supposed to perform
at the Yesh Gvul concert, by groups such as the Israeli Students and
Academics Organization. Yesh Gvul sees Aviner's words as the natural
continuation of these anti-democratic acts. We call on all decent people to
oppose these actions. Yishai Menuhin - Ram Rahat-Goodman
http://www.haaretzdaily.com/hasen/pages/ShArt.jhtml?itemNo=188225&contrassID
=1&subContrassID=0&sbSubContrassID=0   For updates visit Yesh Gvul's
website:
http://www.yesh-gvul.org====================================================
================

FAIR USE NOTICE: This site contains copyrighted material the use of
which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright
owner.  We are making such material available in an effort to advance
democracy, scientific, and social justice issues, etc. we believe this
constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material as provided
for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. In accordance with Title
17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed
without profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in
receiving the included information for research and educational
purposes. For more information go to:
http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml If you wish to use
copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go
beyond 'fair use', you must obtain permission from the copyright
owner.